Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Wa
City
Seattle
Hi everyone. First of all I want to say I'm sorry about everyone in here that is suffering from or has someone close to them suffering from this terrible disease. I know it must be difficult dealing with possibly anxiety cases such as myself on here, so I would like to apologize in advance if I am wasting anyone's time.

I'm a 27 year old male, I have been experiencing some symptoms over the last 2 weeks that I would like some advice on to see if this sounds familiar to anyone. I did contact my doctor who said to come see him only if symptoms get worse or don't go away but while looking for relief methods I stumbled on MND and MS info and truthfully I am quite anxious.

It started with a very long and erratic muscle twitch on my left calf that lasted about 10 minutes. It went away but over the last week I've been having twitches in multiple areas in my body, but the most of them occur on my left side. Twitches occur in my Calves, Quads, buttocks, arms and back near my shoulder blades, and also in my abdomen near my ribcage.

I've also felt very mild cramping in my left calf and left forearm that goes away with light stretching, and my arms feel kind of heavy and tight. Been feeling a bit of pain in the arch of my left foot and ankle when I walk or do stuff sometimes.

The twitches are not constant, or don't last longer than maybe 5 seconds, and goes away if I move that muscle.
Most of them are just one hard twitch and then it's gone.
But it happens during the whole day, mostly when I'm at rest.

In terms of weakness I haven't failed at doing anything I do On a daily basis, although my left side muscles feel more sore after a workout than my right. Amount of weight lifted is not any different.

Once again, I apologize for any inconvenience here. Just wanted to know if any of this sounds familiar or whether I should push my GP for an exam or something. Thanks to all!

Quick Edit: If this was anything serious would anything else have come up in 2 weeks?

Last edited:
Yep, sounds annoying.

Nope, doesn't sound like ALS.

Twitches are too common to mean anything.
Twitches that go away have nothing to do with ALS. Our symptoms don't go away.

Nothing you describe sounds like ALS. I'm happy for you!

A muscle that doesn't work(clinical weakness) without pain is the hallmark of ALS. Twitches mean nothing.
Vincent

Thank you very much everyone. I've been reading through the posts here and it has helped a lot, everyone here is so helpful. I have developed more cramping in my arms and abdomen over the last two days though. Nothing else so far. Hoping itll all go away, but it's hard to stay calm sometimes.

One more question for everyone, I stumbled on this post
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/3648-twitching-question.html#post28230

about suspicious twitches - One exception: Suspicious are rare twitches (a few per hour) in absolutely different places. Bening twitches have mostly "hotspots" and are more frequent.

how true is this? because thats what my twitches are like, very rare, a few per hour or a few every few hours, and not hard rippling twitches at all.

Random twitches that happen rarely are worrisome? I don't believe it. Not my or my family's experience for sure. Weakness then twitching in the weak muscle until it can't twitch because it is dead. The poster did not have ALS, first of all and whatever the neuro said or did not it was second hand and presumably translated as the poster was from a non English speaking country

Read the sticky please.

Twitching means nothing.

You are avidly searching here, not stumbling on posts, that one was many years old. You are welcome to cause yourself anxiety by spending hours here, but it is only increasing your anxiety. No matter what else you read, if you wonder what we think of it, read the sticky again. We made that post so that we could have an official stand and not have to answer over and over when we are needing to really support those with this terminal disease.

All the best.

ANNOYING???? You do realize that we are dying from this disease or are watching someone dye??? ANNOYING??? I wish my life had annoyances, instead of heart breaking losses.. See a doctor if you are concerned, don't bring your "annoying symptoms" to people who are so SERIOUSLY suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back