Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NZ
City
Auckland
First of all I have read all the rules and I have read of how some members are typing with one finger or text to speech, or with their eyes, and therefore wanted to pre-thank, anyone who has the patience to use their precious time reading about my self inflected symptoms. I expect no replies, but any are greatly appreciated.

I used anabolic steroids for 14 weeks, (full disclosure test e 400 mg per week 14 weeks, primo 300mg per week for 4 weeks (at weeks 7-11) anavar 20mg 3 times a week (from weeks 8 to 11) and hcg 250 iu's 3 times per week for 16 weeks

totaling 16 weeks, going from 70 kg to 75kg

after cessation of HCG my hormones would have been at their lowest and I also suffered a traumatic life event unrelated to steroid use, I crashed into panic attacks, cold sweats and shaking myself awake in bed for a couple days, as well as crushing anxiety, massive weakness, and pissing out 4 kg's of weight, including hearing my heart pounding, and struggling to breath, taking a trip to hospital in which it was confirmed my heart was fine, i was given info on mindfulness meditation and promptly left as to not take up Emergency beds

a few weeks later i thought i would do a workout, I did some pulls ups, my hormones would have been crushed at the time, after this workout my bicep began to twitch incessantly for several hours, and started up again the next day albeit less frequent. this was the beggining of the unending twitching

bloodwork showed my hormones had restabilized to pre steroid levels approximately 3 weeks after this event.

10 weeks later and I have had persistent twitches that come and go and are in all sorts of muscles all over my body. sometimes it sticks, I get a tricep twitch that lasts all night, another one that lasted a while was a nerve buzzing in my left thigh, that was on and off for days.

for a couple days I had tingling in my feet at rest, with a decent amount of twitching, in my lover calves, front of legs, as well as soles of feet, sides of feet.
I also had ear popping for a day (assume inner ear twitch)
mostly i just get a twitch here and there throughout the day, 5 lat twitches this morning maybe 40 twitches in random muscles throughout the day.

I saw my doctor and explained the situation a week ago.

Her reaction was panicked she asked me to poke my tongue out then said 'oh thats not a good sign" when she saw it twitching (later i checked, it was barely twitching, only a little due to forcing it out so hard) she then prescribed me clonazepam 0.5mg for a week in hopes that if my twitching was anxiety related she believed the benzo would stop it, It has been a god send for calming me down and allowing a good sleep every night (something I have been lacking) it seems to reduce my twitching but not completely stop all of it.

Phone consultation today she seemed worried that it didn't work 100% immediately and has put me forward to see a neurologist, unfortunately the wait time is 6 weeks, that will be for the first consultation, I assume from there it will be another further wait before i can get an EMG, her sad concerned tone made me reach straight for the pills because I do not have the mental strength to deal with dread right now

Just curios if anyone knows any links between steroids and ALS and how much i should be concerned

I also smoke about 7 ciggerettes per day, yes i know its terrible.

again I really appreciate the fact that you guys have put fourth this space for people like me to make posts. I wanted to post in the steroid forums or bfs forums on reddit but my account gets immediately shadow banned, and aboutbfs website is bugged too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitching after juicing is laughably common. No idea how you jumped to ALS or why your doc would panic, but you abused your body and it's letting you know. Stretch, hydrate, balance your electrolytes, chill. It's really good news that you don't belong here.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks so much for your response laurie,

Intitally it makes me happy to hear this, but I am confused how you got this info

I have spoken to someone who have come off juice and they did not have twitches, I also cant find anyone talking about it on any steroid forum or googling it or anything.

I would be over the moon if you could point me at some info that laid this out or even if you know from friends experience or anything. I'm just not sure where your info is coming from is all.

Again thanks for entertaining me.

You might try reddit. I don’t know about their steroid groups but for twitching there is muscle twitch and bfs.
unfortunately not all gps know much about ALS. As Laurie said it is likely your body is protesting what happened to it but even without triggers benign twitching is common ( including tongues. It is quite common and normal to twitch when poking it out though at rest is usually benign as well. However neurologists checking their als patients’ tongues look at them at rest)

Here's one page of many that mentions twitching. There are so many side effects that not all pages list all of them.

It is interesting that you can't find a single reference to steroids and twitching, yet ALS which is a disease hallmarked by failure of muscles is where you land in a single jump. Twitching means nothing.
I'd suggest you see another doctor and follow the advice lgelb gave. All the best.

Thank you for your replies

Laurie I appreciate the link, that was a list of "see the doctor if you have this while using", sort of similar, my situation however, is, no longer using for about 10 weeks, hormones have recovered clinically.

as for landing at ALS in a single jump this hasn't quite been the case, as i sit and can feel my left thigh nerve doing a gentle rumble, I think, hopefully I have some mineral defiency or something like that, this has become an obsession of mine as every time i forget about it, some twitching will happen and it triggers my brain into thinking "why the hell is this happening this is not something i used to do" a couple nights ago, my right thigh (hasnt been playing up much compared to my left) did a reasonably intense rumble sort of twitch that felt like an electric shock, i felt like it burned a bit.

the idea of these symptoms appearing after what I have done and being unresolvable, and being not understood by a freaked out doctor has lead me down this path

Now call it paranoia or hypochondria (which i prey it is) but there is some mild links to ALS to steroids. and I may be drawing strings too far and im hoping I am wrong.

a study in which they tested Nandralone (an anabolic steroid) on mice to determine its effects on ALS

The anabolic/androgenic steroid nandrolone exacerbates gene expression modifications induced by mutant SOD1 in muscles of mice models of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

in the study abstract at the start they mention

"Anabolic/androgenic steroids (AAS) are drugs that enhance muscle mass, and are often illegally utilized in athletes to improve their performances. Recent data suggest that the increased risk for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) in male soccer and football players could be linked to AAS abuse."

Steroids are very poweful and can make changes to your body beyond looking like a muscular body builder,they can do unnatural super human and highly dangerous things, they were synthesized in the 30's and werent tested for in sports until much later.

[deleted irrelevant historical speculation]

current symptoms

buzzing in left thigh lasting about 5-10 seconds, 10 to 15 times a day
minor small fasiculations in any random muscle at any time, always seem to wake up and do 5 good twitches or so in a random muscle in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
You said it, steroids are very powerful. You can't have it both ways -- allegedly powerful enough to cause ALS (NOT) but not powerful enough to cause lingering effects, that can last well past hormone level normalization.

The literature you cited means absolutely nothing as regards the probability of your having ALS. As to your "current symptoms," everyone here that really has ALS would be happy to trade your symptoms for theirs, yes, even in the beginning. You don't have a progressive condition by your account.

I stand by my advice to, in part, explore potential electrolyte imbalances and the like through simple changes in your diet, and adjust as you go based on results. You could also look to taper down your smoking, which constricts circulation, destroys tissue, and promotes twitching in its own right. You could get help to develop more mental resilience that you say you lack, against the slings and arrows of less than perfect health. Or you could do nothing but "obsess" (your word) about a disease you don't have, and ruin your life. The choice is yours.

Hanging out here isn't going to help you, but there is much you can do to feel better. Closing this thread, please don't start another, all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back