Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
US
State
GA
City
Roswell
I get it that the VA is a difficult organization to deal with at times. I have had many struggles with various issues,, that were really my fault. Of course it would be easier if there was a "one stop solution provider". But there is not one. So a VA Hospital is really a group of powerful kingdoms with different rules for each one. There are many gate keepers that control the flow of information and forms in and out. Nothing happens quickly. Follow up is your best friend. Even ER doctors in the civilian world do not know much about ALS. So the VA peeps sometimes group you up with all the other diseases and make a blanket assumption about you. So find good folks, get good numbers and email addresses....Most of All Thank them.

I walked into an office at the VA. The door hit the guys desk. It was a 12 ft by 6 ft corridor converted into two offices. WWWHHAATT? No wonder. This sucks. No windows, door hits the desk! Dismal I say.

The people of the VA are great. I have been dealing with the VA for the last 15 years due to a service connected cancer I have and now als, they have never let me down. I completely trust the VA and it’s because of the people that work there.

VA was good to us. Elsewhere, I found no one understood how to deal with paralyzed patients except the regulars at the Spinal Injury Clinic at the Tampa VA. Outstanding folks. Anticipated our challenges, provided practical solutions. All free. Must have cost the VA a quarter million to care for us the first year.
But you have to be proactive, eyes open, wary of ignorance, and don't let anyone drop the ball for even a moment.

And I totally agree that attitude is everything. Whenever you encounter someone, ensure they find you pleasant to work with, and let them know exactly how important they are to you.

I typically go to Bay Pines VA Health Care in St. Petersburg but I've also been treated at James Haley in Tampa, and even the VA in Miami, FL. All have been top notch in my opinion. I've dealt with the VA Regional Center in St. Pete for Disability Benefits and have no complaints. Yes you have to have the i's dotted and t's crossed but they are spending a lot of taxpayers' money and they have to make sure it's documented and spent correctly. I'm fine with that in fact I appreciate their effort on my behalf as a disabled veteran and taxpayer.

Bill Kessenich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back