Reason
Other
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Are there members here that are familiar with the research concerning serine and its use in treating ALS? Is anyone trying it?

Yours is not the first L-serine post: L-serine
One of our still active members [PeteJr] reported starting it but there has been no update. [Hey! Pete!]
Over on the Patients Like Me forum there are only two reports of ALS patients trying l-serine, but no results.

I am familiar with the studies and the clinical trials. I am very interested if people are actually trying it and how it is going. I have been using serine for a very different reason for a while.
Thanks for the feedback so far.

My wife has been using L-Serine for about 3 months....app. 7000 mg per day. No positive results to report. Will stop taking it after she finishes this packet as I see no benefits (nor any negative consequences either). I would like to hear from others if they have had positive results.

kaumy2: How did you come up with the 7 grams / day dose? That is very close to the lowest dose in the clinical trials (as I am sure you know).

I take L-Serine for peripheral neuropathy and the doses there are much higher ... 400 mg/kg/day (I take 25 grams / day ~ 300 mg/kg/day). My kids (and others) with 3-pgdh deficiency (a much more severe disability) take 600 mg/kg/day.

Sorry, it's 7 grams twice a day. Some info came from the clinical trials that you cite and some from PeteJr that started 1-14-14 and posted here. I've been very conservative about it, not knowing it's potential negative effects. One of my concerns is the question in my mind that L-serine could be converted to D-serine which I understand may have negative effects.

I would greatly appreciate hearing from you in regard to your observations in this regard.

Understand that I do NOT have ALS, I do have peripheral neuropathy, my children have a 3-PGDH deficiency. I have had no side effects from 25 mg per day (I weigh approx. 190 lbs), and I know others taking the same amount or more, with no obvious side effects. Others I personally know take it for nerve pain associated other disorders. I have been dealing with serine for about 20 years now.

I started taking it before there was research on it for neuropathy for various reasons. I know the concerns about the unknown, heck I almost had my mom sign papers before supplying her with some! But it worked for us, and now the research (out of Harvard University and Mass General Hospital) is catching up.

You can private message me and I can share some other links and information on Serine (from legitimate sources) if you like.

I would like to private message you....I'm relatively new to this forum and not quite sure how 1 to 1 communication is done. Can you give me some advice? Thanks, Kaumy2

See if you can get the message I think I just sent you! It has my email address.

I got serine and looked up how to use it to boost hgh and found a good page that said Glicine 3g 3x each day,p-serine 200mg-600mg 3x each day and to make better tarine 300-500mg 3x ed cycles of 6-8 weeks are best followed by rest period to avoid lower gh release

Was the 200-600 mg of Serine actually mg/kg/day?

there was some discussion both pro and con regarding l-serine over in the ALS TDI forums late last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back