Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Ca
City
Colton
Hello all,

My name is Fidel, I am a 23 year old college student and I can't tell the difference between anxiety and real symptoms of ALS.

Background

I had an abrnormaln EKG which I believe sent me into an anxiety spiral. I was told the arrhythmia is benign, but now I can't help but continue to diagnose myself. It began one day in basketball class, which I had been doing for weeks. This particular my legs felt a bit heavier than usual. The next day (about a week and a half ago) I experienced weakness, my doctor told me it was most likely caused by farigue due to the fact I had been sick for a month. Since then however the weakness has come and gone, I feel pain throughout the day. I've begun to experience twitches all over, I can't sleep well. I've convinced myself that my quads aren't firing correctly when I walk simply because my calves hurt, and I have some joint pain. I then proceeded to look for atrophy and have convinced myself that a dip just above the patella is atrophy. This is affecting my health, and social life because I am no longer living a normal life. I can still run, I can squat, I worked on a leg press machine for a bit to test myself for strength.

Everyday I wake up hoping my legs will feel better but they don't. Could this be ALS?

I apologize if this comes off as pathetic to some, I'm just a young student who is scaring himself literally sick.

All inputs are appreciated

Thank you

Hi Fidel

You said the feeling of weakness comes and goes, that does not happen in als. joint pain and twitching can be caused by many things other than als. Atrophy can only really be examined by your doctor but in als it usually comes after weakness and loss of function.

I hope you find that reassuring, however it would be worthwhile going back to your doctor and asking for help with your health fears.

Wendy

Hi Fidel

You said the feeling of weakness comes and goes, that does not happen in als. joint pain and twitching can be caused by many things other than als. Atrophy can only really be examined by your doctor but in als it usually comes after weakness and loss of function.

I hope you find that reassuring, however it would be worthwhile going back to your doctor and asking for help with your health fears.

Wendy

Wendy, thank you very much, it definitely helps. I'm trying to accept that most of what I feel is related to fatigue, and the fact that I'm constantly stressing.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back