CALS
Country
US
State
MN
City
St. Paul
Hello All!

I've tried searching the threads for this, but I'm having trouble finding it (even though I'm sure there are threads out there!).

My mom uses a power chair with a swing arm joy stick for control. Unfortunately, she's nearly entirely gone in both hands now. So sometimes she can't get her hand over to move the joystick, or her hand will fall off the side and dangle until I can get home from work. Not fun.

So a couple of things. Are there other manageable options to help her adjust the tilt/recline/etc.? And, I image they're quite expensive (which won't work for us). Does anyone know about medicare covering alterations to a chair? Her insurance paid for this one (took about 8 months to get). But we switched to medicare in January. So confusing!

Thanks for any help (even if you're just redirecting me to another site)!

Kaija
Caregive to Mom diagnosed 3/07

Tim's Chair

MDA and Medicare just paid 38,000 for his. They also paid for the special mouth control he has. check with the company you purchased it through. They should be able to help you. Or find a good Rehibilitation Co. that sells the chairs. Beware, Jeremy with the company we deal with through MDA said that a lot of Companys will try to sell what you dont need and keep you coming back. They prepared Tim's chair for the worst case senario.

Lorie

ALSA or MDA might be able to help with chair alterations. Some one here recently said their local Lion's Club helped them.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back