Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Want to purchase an alternating pressure mattress to replace the standard mattress that comes with my Hospice bed. Can anyone who has one give the brand and model? I have no idea what to buy.

Vince

Vince, can hospice not supply you with one? My MIL had some sort of air type mattress on hospice.

No. they will only supply a standard mattress.

Hi Vince,
This is what we did for Jon. First we tried the air pressure mattress (thou it is one that we tried out from the same place we got the trilogy) it has a little machine that also has to be plugged in to an outlet as well as attached to the mattress. After trying it a couple of nights Jon didn't like it.

We sort of laughed together because it is like the Princess and the Pea story...So, we used the hospital bed mattress, then I put one of our most comfortable sleeping bags, then I found at Bed and Bath a 2" foam topper.

He repeatedly told me that he was plenty comfy. He did not develop any sores.

I hope you find something that works best for you. Hugs to you and your wife

Katie

Assuming this is more about comfort than pressure ulcers (and maybe even if not), I would try an overlay on top first, Vince. A standard hospital bed mattress isn't likely comfortable for anyone. Latex is a good option for many people -- three firmnesses, various thicknesses, pretty cheap on Amazon and the like. We've done threads before, but check out the Pure Green brand. I'd suggest a foam pillow (which are also available in latex) as well, as conventional pillows probably aren't supported enough for you.

Also make sure your arms/elbows/feet are well-supported and your hips are aligned, as that contributes a lot to back and shoulder pain if they are not.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back