minnesota

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MN
City
Coon Rapids
Lack of sleep attempting to get my pals comfortable has lit a fire of motivation to find the "right" low air loss alternating air pressure mattress? I've done my homework, also sent a msg to tillie, and read threads. We've tried 3 diff ones from the loan pool, we've had the roho for 4 years but nothing is working! Also tried 4 blankets and a roho and slept one night in the last week! My pals has always been thin 150lb and now thinner! I will be whipping up a batch of pumpkin bread and foam donuts for his tush later today! Lol

Any brand you recommend for the low air loss alternating pressure mattress? Thank you and thanks for the help and support--forum friends are amazing souls!

I am interested in this too, Marie. Also, is there one that can go over a standard mattress instead of replacing (we still sleep in the same bed--it could just be on his side though), and does medicare pay for these?

I would take a look at the "Invacare® CareGuard™ APP Alternating Pressure Pad System". This one allows you to adjust the pressure. Annie had a version of this from the loan closet that had a fixed pressure, which she found to be to hard after a while. She then bought a ROHO overlay, which doesn't alternate pressure. She later found out about the variable pressure and said that's what she would get next time.

I'll post a link to it shortly, but assume it will first go to moderation. Hopefully this will not.

spacer_588.gif
You are here: Home / Product Catalog / Therapeutic Support Surfaces / Group I Products /

CG9701_140_A.jpg

Click image for larger view Invacare® CareGuard™ APP Alternating Pressure Pad System
Pad includes flaps that wrap around mattress for better stability

Product ID: CG9701
HCPCS Code: E0181**
HMESA CODE: 10-10-08-02
$185.76*

Price Sheet(s)
TSS List Price List

Homecare Beds and...

Glossy Sell Sheet
Owner's Manual
Owner's Manual

Product Comparison
Print This Page

Additional Documents
Related Product(s)
6628_080.jpg
Invacare® Extra-Wide Full-length Bed Rail
catalog_section_header_description.gif

Invacare offers two static overlays to aid in the prevention of pressure ulcers for those patients who are at risk of developing a pressure ulcer. The Invacare® Gel Overlay and Invacare CareGuard Alternating Pressure Pad System are designed to be placed overtop an existing mattress. The overlays are both easy to use and maintain.

View the Bed Rail Entrapment Risk Notification Guide

catalog_section_header_features.gif

<li class="med-arial">Pump alternately inflates and deflates air cells<li class="med-arial">Variable pressure setting for added patient comfort<li class="med-arial">Pump can be mounted on the bed with built-in bracket<li class="med-arial">Pad includes flaps that wrap around mattress for better stability<li class="med-arial">Does not contain latex

catalog_section_header_specs.gif

Dimensions:118" (L) x 34" (W) x 2.5" (H)
Product Weight:250 lb.
Flammability:N/A
Warranty:30 Days (Mattress)
1 Year(Power Unit)

NOTE: For more detail please refer to the full specifications brochure link above, or call Customer Service at (800) 333-6900. All specifications, prices, and product configurations are subject to change without notification. Accessories and seating products shown in the photographs are not necessarily included in the base price of wheelchair. Please refer to current price lists located at Invacare - Leading manufacturer of home and long-term care products.

I posted a link, and then a screen shot, but as expected, they both went to moderation.

You might look at Paradise Pump air mattresses. A member of our ALS support group got on through the MN ALS organization.

Hello! Finally finishing my homework and writing to give you the specs re: True Air Loss Alternating Pressure Mattresses

First, thank you for your replies and Phil you've been super helpful in sharing what Annie used and what you did to support our friend!

Second, there is a plethora of info out there and prices range from 100.-8000.

Third, this is the information I collected and you can lve a msg or PM me if you want the company we are ordering from

True Air Loss Alternating Pressure Mattress:
1. Alternating pressure therapy
2. Low air loss or true air loss (not cold and no contact with skin but aides in prevention and healing of ulcers)
3. Cells that inflate and deflate odd and even vs only vibrate
4. Varied time options for inflating and deflating and preferably self adjusting as well (10, 15, 20. 25 min)
5. Low shear cover, microbial, fire retardent, washable
6. Whisper quiet pump
7. Panel lock out to eliminate tampering
8. Cell within a cell or function to avoid bottoming out if the power goes out
9. Static float for transferring
10. On/off button so the seat cells don't increase by 25% when you're in an upright position if you don't want them to
11. Options for bolster sides and/or bariatric if needed
12. Claim to heal bed sores up to stage IV
13. Static cells on head

Ok, well with two more questions to the helpful crew tomorrow before I place the order and then the trial sleeping begins! We've tried many options and we're both desperate for some shut eye! Hope that helps! We are close to 5 years in and new changes all the time! You have all been so helpful--I'll try and step up and do my part too!

That is such a great list of features Marie, you have really done your homework!

I didn't really do anything, palliative care just sent me one after my PALS spent 5 nights in their unit and slept for them ...

Mine has nearly all those features, and one extra feature it has is an emergency release in case CPR needs to be performed. I didn't position the mattress quite right one night and woke at 5.30 to it's alarm going off ... and one sunken PALS lol

Ours doesn't have the cell within a cell I don't think, as it does deflate pretty low. No static cells on head unless you put the whole mattress on to static setting.

I must say though, that we are having great success with ours now, and together with the hoist I can get him comfortable with ease and it makes such a difference!

My husband has been using the one that Phil posted in this thread. It goes over the mattress, and has long enough flaps so that the pad stays put. It has not slipped even once and we have to move him around in the bed quite a bit. Barbie, I don't know about Medicare paying for it, but my insurance did. I suspect that none will pay for it, unless there already exists some sort of skin breakdown or bedsores. Unfortunately, my husbands backside is a constant battle for him to keep it out of pain and healed from any type of breakdown. but because of that, fortunately, we got that mattress, that he says is very comfortable.

Mary

I called a local medical supply in town who is a dealer for the Invacare. they can order the one Phil mentioned but said they can get me a different brand for $148.00 (Drive) for that price it is not worth going to the doc and get a script and then paying 20%...not to me anyway.

unless anyone has something bad to tell me about the Drive brand, I will probably order that tomorrow.

I tried to post a picture of it and the specs--hope they come up later.

http://www.drivemedical.com/media/c...3525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/4/14025N_fade_1.jpg

Product Summary

•This combination therapy overlay system provides both alternating pressure and low air loss to optimize pressure redistribution and manage skin maceration.
•Designed to prevent, treat and manage pressure ulcers in the home, long term care, or acute care setting.
•Pump delivers air volume of 8-LPM. (Figure A)
•The nylon low shear cover material is water resistant, vapor permeable, machine washable and secures to the overlay with straps.
•Each one of the 20, 5" deep air bladders are easily removed and replaced.
•Pillow function maintains the 3 air cells at the head of the bed in static mode for patient comfort.
•CPR valve allows for rapid deflation.
•EZ Lock/Quick Release Tubing Connector has pressure tabs that allow easy and quick disconnect. (Figure B)

Barbie,

Can't speak to mattress BUT the items I have purchased from Drive Medical ( on Ama zon) are fabulous. Well made, reliable and innovative. And well priced. And, many of their products are made in America.

Well SNAP! One question, 11 replies with helpful, detailed information and at least two CALS are making purchases to help their PALS.
We should encase this thread in concrete and use it to bonk the heads of those who say this forum has changed and is no longer helpful!

Say... I need a robot that cleans house, does laundry, cooks and shuttles the children to their many activities. Oh wait... I have a wife that does all that! At least I know where to come when I do have a need. Kudos to you all.

My wife used an alternating pressure mattress overlay for over a year before it finally became too painful--the little air chambers became like sleeping on baseballs. Insurance has now covered a Jeorns low air loss, alternating pressure mattress. It is better than the overlay was, but it still hurts her tailbone (which gets extra pressure from her being inclined in the hospital bed, which we have not found a solution to). Also, it is much louder than the overlay pump was, but we are starting to get used to it. We would love to know if anyone has tried this mattress but found something better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back