Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
NC
City
Raleigh
Here's the report from about coconut oil. Short version -- based on prior studies with similar agents (ketogenic and high-fat diets) in ALS animal model, coconut oil is worthy of further study.

I've attached a PDF copy of the report to this post. And the usual trfogey disclaimer concerning animal ALS studies : the ALS mice respond positively to a lot of ALS therapies that PALS don't do well (or anything with), As always, consult your doctors before you try this.

Attachments

• ALSU15.PDF
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,612
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes...Yes...Yes.....I will continue to take my coconut oil !

Judy

We are very fortunate to have Dr. Bedlack and the other volunteers at ALSuntangled in our corner.

Very good, tr. Thank you. I have been waiting for this report. We started Mom on coconut oil (just adding it to things that you might normally use butter or vegetable oil) and then her cholesterol (which has never been a problem) went up so high that her primary care physician wanted to put her on cholesterol meds. So when we went to the Mayo Clinic, the docs there said there was no evidence that coconut oil is helpful and that it could be making her cholesterol go up. So they told her to stop. Then, when she had her next ALS clinic, her regular ALS neurologist told her to stop for a month and see what happens, but she didn't think the coconut oil was responsible for the cholesterol issue.

All that to say: Has anyone else had trouble with cholesterol after adding coconut oil to their diet? Mom does not want to take any more medications that she has to, so she is pretty much set on managing her cholesterol through diet. But if there's indication that coconut oil is helpful (or warrants further study), then I wouldn't want her to stop either. In my mind, the help to the ALS would trump any cholesterol issues and it seems dumb to put her on cholesterol medication when she is being required to have a high fat diet, anyway. But I am not a doctor, so what do I know?

Thanks for any input. I hope this isn't a thread hijack. Not my intent.

Hey there.....I have been taking coconut oil since mid Feb. I did this because I thought it might be good for ALS and over all health as well as raise my happy cholesterol...and it did! 40 something to 70 something. My cholesterol is within range now because of the high happy cholesterol...even tho my overall reading is 250. I asked my neuro about taking this before I started...he ased me why I wanted to...I told him the reasons and he said OK. My nuero is at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale,AZ. Hope this helps!

Judy

** LIKE **

I bought some for my wife a couple months back for her Alzheimer's, but I think I might try it too!

-Tom

By the way, I searched all over the internet and based on cost I chose the pure MCT oil

Hey there tmasters.....the last time we ordered coconut oil we ordered a gallon from Nutiva...less expensive and free shipping!

Judy

Gary has been taking coconut oil for a few months. This time I ordered from Amazon and ordered it on a "subscription" basis:

"Save an extra 15% with Subscribe & Save: Sign up to have this item delivered at a regular interval of your choice, and the current price drops to $16.99 ($0.57 / oz) . Shipping is always free. No fees, no risks, no obligations." This was for 2 - 15 ounce jars of Nutiva. I just received the first shipment, and the program seemed to work really well. I ordered it to receive it monthly, although you can choose to get it anywhere from one to 6 months apart.

This is the first time I have tried their subscription program, but I order a lot of stuff from Amazon and haven't ever had a problem with anything. This price is almost half of what it costs locally. We'll see how it goes!

Can the coconut oil capsules be used as a substitute?

Judy,

Good tip on the one-gallon size! Works out to $59.99/gal = $0.46/oz = $0.0165/gram

jb63: The softgels are very expensive: $19.40 per bottle of 180, 1000mg capsules = $0.1077/gram, more than 6 times the per-gram price of the one-gallon size! Fine for a trial basis, but for something you plan to take long term?

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back