Blizna

Distinguished member
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
I was trying to search what the weakness actually is. For example: When excersising, my muscles are shaking after a very short time. They also shake if I stretch them strongly (bicepses). Is this weakness?

Its because I understand what the term in english means, but dont know how to imagine it in real world.

Try this link

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003174.htm

But, for me, the neuro says I am not weak because I can press against her hand with my leg and against her arm with my arm. I am much weaker than I was a year ago, but because i can do this, I am not clinically weak. It's definitely hard to understand!

Blizna
Sounds familiar. I had that particular problem 2 years ago. I have been seeing an internist in my hometown for various reasons and saw him three weeks in a row and he could clearly the see the weakening in my left arm. I can't turn the steering wheel with it.
ltr
I'm strong the first time I do an exercise but not after a few reps. Try scheduling your appointments in the afternoon when you are tired or make sure you are not at your peak before a doctors visit. This should give them a more accurate picture.
Angie in AZ

Hmm I thought weakness it that you cant do something - lack of streght? My muscles only start to shake quickly..but after 20 seconds Im able to continue (this is last 3 months). Im able to do anything like before. I have read that this is probably "exercise intolerance" in benign fasciculation syndrome.

Is it true that real weakness is feeling you cant control the limb or you just dont have enough strenght?

I think they are both weakness= They told me I have BFS-- but alot more symptoms are happening--- including the shaking thing you talk about. I have actually been getting the shaking when i sleep too along with fasciculations. But if you can still lift the same- turn the same and walk the same-- those are positive signs. The muscles shaking say to me that they are struggling to perform and fatiguing out. Do you legs shake a little after walking a ways?

G

No, my muscles shake only if I excercise...I just cant repeat too many times as I used to, but this is normal with BFS. I can repeat after a while.

In last three months it was worse and better, but no weakness. I think shaking isnt weakness, its only reaction to over-working of the muscle. Neuro wants to see if you have a loss of strenght.

Do you know aboutbfs.com? There are a lot of people with fascisc, cramps, excersise intolerance for years and nobody was diagnosed with ALS (the most of them have more EMGs)

I found out, that muscle shaking during excercise could be normal, due to myastenia,chronic tireness syndrome and many more.

Could anyone Dxd with ALS told us about their weakness? It would really help

My muscles also shake with use. Even when I do the face grimace for the doc, my face shakes. But, after repeating it several times it goes away.

Angie - you are absolutely right, the day after I see the neuro I feel like I worked out and all I did was press against her limbs! They have seen me become weaker upon repeated pushing, but haven't said anything about it. Also, Angie, exercise induced weakness can indicate treatable disorders. Try googling this and see what comes up. I have myopathy and I think that is one of them. Good luck.

Itr: How was you diagnosed with myopathy? I probably have it too - occassional twitches, excercise intolerance..but no permanent weakness.

Only through muscle biopsy. My EMG was negative as well as my CK levels, which are usually, but not always, positive in myopathy. I have always had to be an exception to the rule! The docs are somewhat bewildered, but I have read on several sites, including the MDA, that these tests can be normal. Personally I think anyone who has been suffering neuromuscular problems for a period of time with no diagnosis, should have a biopsy. It can't hurt, though it doesn't always give an answer.

Itr: Please, could you describe your previous/current symptoms? My docs too doesnt think I have als (twitching only for a few times per hour, no weakness) so I would like to hear about you. Thank you!

I would try not to worry if you are just having twitching without associated weakness or cramping. I know it is very hard to do, but if you let it upset you, the twitching will only get worse.

My illness started a year and ten months ago, but the neuromuscular aspect of it started about May 06 with tremors, weakness in my legs, extreme extreme extreme fatigue and loss of stamina. Then the twitching and cramping began as well as my jaw symptoms. The weakness has moved on to include my neck and ankles, but some days it seems normal. I can be active, but pay for it the next day and several after. This is just a very brief description.

Have you tried taking vits with magnesium or the B's and calcium. Many times these help with twitching. Please, try to stay calm. :)

Itr: :) why worry? I would "love" to have DXd myopathy instead of fear of ALS... I started with tremors too and yes, I was fatiqued for a few days..but then it was OK and only excercise intolerance remain. Probably its not ALS nor myopathy, but I would like to know...

I associate my DH's weakness with atrophy, it's not that he feels weak he just is weak with no muscle. He is still strong where he hasn't had atrophy, where he's had atrophy, he can't even lift his arm or move his fingers or lift his ankle, that's his "weakness". Hope that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back