Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
oh
City
maumee
Sorry if this is long, but I am new here and would just like some opinions. This all started about three months ago with severe cramping in my pelvic area. I had every test in the book(catscan, upperGI and pelvic ultrasound and bloodwork) Everything came back normal. Then about three weeks ago, I woke up with my right arm completely asleep. I shook it off and went on. Since then things have gotten worse. My right arm and sometimes my left tingle all the time and now has spread to my toes. I also get muscle twinges where my shoulder or calf or arm just jerk once and then it goes away. It seems worse right when I get up in the morning. My husband and I walk about three miles a day and that is the only time the symptoms don't bother me. My doctor did some tests with the little hammer and vibrating fork thing and says I have some slight weakness in my right arm. She is suspecting MS. Had a brain and spine MRI two days ago, but no results yet. Funny thing is the cramping in my pelvic area has stopped. Anyone got any ideas? I was worried about MS, but am now more concerned about ALS. Help! Oh, I was diagnosed with mild arthritis in my spine three years ago.

Jane, from what I understand, the twitches (fasciculations) last for much longer than just one jerk. People say it is similar to popcorn popping.

I would also think that you would experience some weakness in your legs while walking. A lot of what I've read on ALS indicates that one of the first signs people notice is that they trip and fall much more often than normal.

I'm worried too and hoping that this place will provide some relief or answers.

Hang in there!

scared

Jane - Your symptoms don't seen consistent with ALS. The limb falling asleep, tingling, single jerks - aren't typical in ALS. If you had slurred speech and/or profound weakness in one to two limbs and ongoing muscle twitching (fasciculations), that would be different.

Jane--I agree that your symptoms don't sound much like ALS. Get an examination at an ALS center if you want to be sure.

I just wanted to point out, though, that "profound weakness" is not an early sign of ALS. Although we all will experience profound weakness at some point, ALS weakness begins insidiously and for the lucky ones it is years before profound weakness is experienced.

I've never heard anyone mention pelvic pain as a first or for that matter any sign that turned out to be ALS. I'd think you've got something else going on. Relax. Wait for more test results before you freak.

Thank-you all so much for your replies. I am hoping you are all right about this. Should know results of MRI tomorrow. Am keeping my fingers crossed. As far as the pelvic pain goes, I think my doctor assumes it was another issue entirely.

Jane

If after you get the MRI results and you are still worried about the symptoms maybe then I would go to an ALS clinic or at least a neurologist and request a nerve conduction study and possibly an EMG test. To measure nerve and muscle activity.

It sounds like your symptoms are not the common one's we see for ALS, but then again we are not doctors. A neurologist referral might give you more answers.

We will be hoping for the best with you.
God Bless,
Big AL
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back