Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Moseley
Our local walk is coming up at the end of Oct. and I find myself in a bit of a quandary. My wife and I have been active the last 2 years with the walk and have gotten a couple of thousand in pledges each year. This year my old employer is holding a fund raising golf tournament in mid October in my honor benefiting the ALS Assoc. So many of the people who have donated to the walk on my behalf in the past have participated in the bucket challenge recently plus they will be participating in the golf fundraiser. I'm feeling a pushy in asking for walk donations on top of everything that they have already given recently. How is everybody else handling this?

How wonderful that they are doing these things for you. Honestly I would be hesitant to ask for walk donations if people were already donating in 2 other places can you influence the direction of the golf donation at all? Is it going to chapter or straight to National? If the latter you might want to ask either that part go to your chapter ( they have to give some of it to national anyway) and/ or if you have feelings about which part of the national mission you want to fund ask it be a restricted gift to research or whatever your wish is. If it is going to national and you ask them to give some to chapter instead you could work the issue of walk into conversation. Normally I raise money for the chapter this way...

Assuming your walk is being put on by the ALSA, as is mine coming up in September, have them donate to you or your team. It'll go to the same place.

This assumes your walk website is up for donations...

I say go for it and announce the fundraiser. Nikki's a good idea with redirecting the monies, so they aren't duplicated.

I think that donating makes people feel good, and donating more makes them feel even better!

I asked that people donate to ALS TDI as part of the challenge. If they donated to ALSA that goes to the national level I think.

The Walk money goes to my local ALSA chapter who assists me free of charge with equipment and support. They really help me a lot.

So you may want to spin the local angle for walk donations. That is what I am going to do.

This is our 1st year walking and I addressed it right up front and aid you are probably tired of people raising money for ALS. The walk is to support the local chapter and provides us with loaner equipment of which I am benefiting. I then suggest that if they don't want to donate that is perfectly ok. My wife and I would rather have them support us in their prayers and day to day support. we really want them to come along side us and to learn what ALS is. I then say that every dollar helps, but please, please don't give out of obligation or if you can't afford it.

I am totally shocked at the positive responses. We have raised almost $9,000 and we only started less than 2 weeks ago and have 5.5 weeks to go.

It is hard but I found that being honest and up front worked for me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back