10/2006
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Flint
HI,

I just wanted to let everyone know our walk team made over 4000 dollars on Sat in Detroit. Our team is Peg Legs. We had a great time. I was so surprised and pleased with the organization of the walk and the collection of funds. It is so organized and we never had to touch the money. Most people had it sent directly to the ALS Association. If you kinda want to do this, I just want to assure you it was much easier than I ever thought. We asked for $5.00 donations so everyone as much as possible could participate. Our goal was $5000 and we are not done yet. I sent out to family and friends and they in turn sent emails out to family and friends and everyone just had to click on to the website from the email.

We were also blessed with the most beautiful day and got to walk around Bell Isle. I went a mile and had a great time. I am very excited to do it again next year. This was the second annual walk in Detroit, Michigan. Take Good Care, Peg

Congratulations! That is terrific ... and very encouraging.

I've signed up for the Pasadena walk on October 26, but set my goal for $1,000. (All my friends are cheap. :) ) I've never done this before, and HATE asking people for money. I wish I knew the e-mail for a guy I used to work with who foisted Girl Scout Cookies on us every year. He'd bring his darling daughter to work with him on sales day, so there was no way to escape. I figure he owes me $1,000 in contributions over the years.

Thank you for sharing that ... it gives me the courage to go on! :)

BethU

Peg,

Congrats on your walk!

ALS walk

Rick and I, PALS and CALS are registered in a walk in less than two weeks. We haven't been able to raise a dime yet with our goals at $200 and $100. Where do you find so many people willing to reach in their pockets? Looks like we'll have to cough it up ourselves or turn in barely anything. We have asked SO many people to sponsor us, but everyone is afraid that they can't pay their bills this winter, I guess.

Marjorie, I think Peg's idea of asking for small donations -- $5 -- might get the ball rolling. Also, did you set up a website? I've gotten e-mail responses from people who say they'll contribute, but so far haven't. I'm going to make up a flyer and see if that helps.

I really don't like asking for money, and hesitate to ask people at a distance because then it's so obvious that you just want money and not participation, but it's for the best cause in the world, so I hope people understand.

Good luck on your fund-raising. Every little bit will help. I'd say don't worry if you don't raise a lot ... just participating, just being there, helps in raising awareness.

BethU

Hi BethU,
Your comments were right on the money. Raising awareness is where it's at now. Once we do that, it will be easier to raise the money.
It amazes me that so many people out there do not know what ALS is. One comment we had was "what's that, the ligiment in your leg?" You have to keep smiling....
Lin

Yes, true.

Thanks. I know how it is to get people to realize Rick's condition. If they see his morning congestion, they think he has a cold. If he is gets up from a chair slowly they think it is his arthritis. They suggest exercises to build up his legs. They even accuse us of being promoters of "gloom and doom" if we speak of his disease and that it will only progress. It's like they won't even believe it until he is attached to tubes all over. Even the doctors say it just can't be true that he is skipping breaths in his sleep because his blood oxygen number is good. I try to sleep next to him and know he skips up to 6 of my breaths at a time. He has a bipap, and it is written that it is for his sleep apnea due to snoring. He never snores! We know that he has been diagnosed with ALS and the conclusion is because of the EMG, blood tests, and reflex tests he has had.... and the myriad of symptoms he experiences every day. IT SURELY WILL MEAN MUCH TO JUST WALK IN THE WALK EVEN IF WE DON'T RAISE FUNDS. WEARING THAT T-SHIRT OUT IN PUBLIC AFTERWARDS WILL TEACH THE PUBLIC. We will expend our energies for better things. At least now we are listed in the Registry so funds and interest will generate to find a cause and cure for ALS..... and the VA has acknowledged military benefits. Mainly that just gives Rick a tax deduction on his Navy pension and a death benefit for his widow..... but we are thankful for that. Thanks for your advice and for letting me come here to vent! M

hello everyone,
way to go on the walk, Peg! I just checked the website for our team, the walk was 9/27/08 and I had set our team goal at 10,000. I realize that seems like a lot, but all I asked was that maybe 10,000 of my closest friends would all give $1.00. The idea took off before I realized it!
The day of the walk, we had about 260 plus walkers for the walk, and tonight our donations are up to over 18,000! I am tickled to death at the number of people who now know more about ALS than they did a month ago!
everyone keep spreading the word,
brenda

Hi Peg,

Way to go! And you don't even have ALS, right? Outstanding!

I was in the same boat, very tentative about even bringing it up to my family, but they surprised me by being all excited about doing the walk, so we formed a team.

I told them, "Don't worry too much about the fundraising part, this is also about awareness. Every time you ask someone for a donation, you have a opportunity to teach them about ALS." So I set my team goal really, really, low ($250). And I HATE asking people for money. But asking people here at work was so easy via email, and the ALS Association sets it all up on the web for online donations.

The first day, I raised over $4000 from my coworkers! It was amazing. I was overwhelmed by the support and people willing reach out.

The walk is a week from Saturday in Irvine, CA. Now, I'm sooooo glad I signed up!

-Tom

I'll be in Irvine too - look for "Team Doran, The Fighting Irish"!

Sure, Pat, I'll look for you.

Look for "The Masters of ALS". (The smallest team there probably.)

-Tom

Congratulations Tom & Brenda.

Those are amazing amounts of money in short order. I would encourage everyone to try a team if they are able. We have never done anything like it before, except walk in a cancer walk. But we did not set it up, we just showed up. People can also register as independent walkers and join the walk. Everyone wins in participating. Congrats and encouragement to all. Sincerely, Peg

AlS walk

Rick walked in the walk by himself and was given a red hat to wear besides the T-shirt that represents that he has ALS himself. He joined in with about 50 other people who raised pledges totalling $25, 000. (Neither of us were able to get anything... even from family. I think they deny he even has something so serious.) Rick was able to walk down a steep hill and back up again, but it has taken him two full days to get his legs to calm down. He was sore and tired, but oh, so proud, to be a part of such a cause. He met one other PALS who was in a wheelchair. They were immediate buddies. It was a great day and a beautiful one for the walk, with sunny skies and warm enough temperatures. Hopefully with help from many, this dread disease will meet its end one day soon. With progress in research, public awareness, and donations raised like these, we have a chance. M

Hi Marjorie,
Your hubby should be very proud of himself! How far are you from Saratoga? There is an ALS walk in Saratoga Springs on November 1st. I am hoping my hubby who is 41 with Als will be joining me this year with our kiddos. You should be so proud of your husband. THat is an awesome amount of money you both raised.
Fondly,
Kelly

correction

Kelly,
Please reread my last post to see that the 50 people or so are the ones who got the funds pledged.... not my husband and I. We told everyone we could about the walk and all they did was nod and smile and not pledge or give. Because we were encouraged on this forum to represent ourselves at the walk and get a t-shirt to advertise, we stayed involved even though we couldn't raise anything. I just don't want you to praise us so, although my hubby is to be praised for so many other reasons. He is volunteering for so much to benefit the veterans and needy people through his Elks membership..... and he does much through the church and gives to charities.
Yes, we don't live really far from Saratoga. Maybe 2 hours to travel out I88 and up the northway (87) It would be nice to go and meet you, but we have a very busy schedule in the next few weeks. It is great that Rick can still keep going and keep a busy schedule!
I wish you great success, excitement and fullfillment as you participate in your walk, and I will be praying for your family as you all deal with this horrible disease. We will communicate here on the forum and continue to draw support and love doing so. Bless you and everyone here. M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back