Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my gosh.....I reply to these forums when I am way to tired. I think it is amazing your hubby completed the walk. Way to go!

Last edited:
I just partcipated yesterday in the ALS walk in Richmond, VA, and I have to say, it was the single-most uplifting thing I've done since being diagnosed. I was most amazed not just at the number of people who showed up with it being chilly and rainy, but also at the new faces I was able to meet. I'd been so discouraged lately at not having met anyone near my age (almost 28) with ALS and just feeling a general sense of dispair over it. At the walk, though, I was able to catch up with our local patient services rep and she introduced to me to another young woman who was diagnosed in August. She's in her early 30s and it was just so... I don't know... comforting? maybe is the right word. We found we'd been experiencing a lot of the same emotions and frustrations and I think we both finally felt that we weren't alone in this. I know many other people who are newly diagnosed have the same feelings (feeling like no one understands), and it's just really moving to find someone else who does.

In addition to raising funds and awareness, these walks and other events really enable PALS and CALS to network with other people who can provide the kind of mutual support that no one else can.

So that's just my two cents.

~Michelle

Went on the Pasadena walk this morning, Didn't meet my goal ... raised $2,200, short of the $2,500 goal ... but every little bit counts.

Met PDaddy ... whatta team he has! It was a sea of Irish green T-shirts.

My little group mostly milled around. There was no way I would be able to walk 2 miles at this point, so we trailed after the huge group for a while then Paul and I headed home, and I believe the rest of the group were headed for Bloody Marys. There were surely way over 1,000 walkers altogether..

One nice note: a firetruck went by (no sirens, just going back to the station) and the driver honked like mad in support of the walkers. Another nice note: All the volunteers at the booths and tables were from USC and UCLA fraternities and sororities. The fraternity was the one Lou Gehrig had belonged to ... it was nice to see college kids learning about ALS.

I have Als and will be walking in Saratoga on Nov 1st. We also just did a walk in Canajoharie it was very nice hope to meet some of you folks there. Larry

What an uplifting story! Great job, you two!

Hi, Larry ... these walks are pretty inspiring, aren't they? Hope you have good weather on Nov. 1 !

Welcome to the forum.

It was so cool to meet Beth at the Pasadena walk! Team Doran - The Fighting Irish was well represented with 40+ walkers in green Team Doran tee shirts. We raised over $6,000 not counting the money from today. I was pushed the 2 miles in a wheel-chair (yuk) but it was fun. Last week we raised about $2,700x2 in Irvine. Not too bad! Here is our logo from today:

FightingIrishLogoforPat.gif

Go Irish! :smile: Great job and cool tee shirts! Cindy

Makes a man proud to have Irish ancestry.

AL.

Aye Al. I'll have a pint on that!

Saratoga Springs Walk

Hey Larry,
See you at the walk in Saratoga. I will be there with my hubby who has ALS (42), our two boys, and a crew of family and friends. Hoping for good weather. Fondly, KR

This is my first attempt to put one of our walk pictures on here, hope it works

Attachments

• alswalkteam.jpg
    alswalkteam.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 439
I'm going to try once again to "import" a picture from our ALS walk on here:

This one is a picture that someone took after the walk, so I'm sure some of my team had gone home already. I think we had about 260 walkers with our team alone.

Hope you can see it!

Attachments

• alswalkteam.jpg
    alswalkteam.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 425
Last edited:
oops, looks like I duplicated myself.

Anyway, the picture is tiny, but you should be able to see a field of "safety green"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back