Al's Tips for Full contact Lawn Mowing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jen. Not knowing your dad kind of makes it hard to answer your question. I've always had a good sense of humor and laff at most jokes whether they are politically correct or not. This world has been taking itself way too seriously for about 20 years. We need more fun and be able to laugh at ourselves again. Try to get him to watch some funny movies. Maybe he'll start to see the humor in life more. Try to keep a smile on yor face. It's hard to frown when someone is smiling at you.
Al.

Another story . .

I had to chuckle. . .my Dad had a similar experience in his early days of the disease and we made sure the lawn was mowed after that because the front lawn was up about fix feet with a stone wall around it and we figured next time he would right over the wall.

He finds the humour in whatever happens. I remember the first time I went with my Dad to rehab, he sat back and told the OT, PT and Dr about the falls he had been having but that he was OK since he had been studing the Stuntmen on TV and had learned to fall properly. He had them in stitches telling his stories.

The latest in his saga is being pushed in his portable wheelchair - he had a walker but because of the weakness on his left side he kept going to the right and banging back and forth down the halls so we convinced to him to get one for his daily outings.

One his friends was taking him on their morning coffee run. Dad had taken the footrests off the wheelchair and they came to a curb . . .well since his feet were danling they caught on the curb and his friend didn't know and kept pushing, needless to say Dad went face first and the wheelchair went over him. . .god love him and his humour . . .he delighted in relaying the story as he laughed about what happened . . .luckly he wasn't really hurt other than a few scapes but it gave him a story to tell his buddies about for the next week. Needless to say, he is now using the footrests but he still enjoys telling the story.

Thanks for that story Deb. I'll remember to keep my feet up when being pushed up over curbs.

Made my day already

thanks Al, mt pockets, Deb--You all have made my day! Proves again, we didn't choose to have ALS, but we can choose our reaction to it. I choose joy. That makes it easier for me & my caretakers. I've been loaned a motorized scooter called a Jazzy & when I want a change from the drunken sailor, penguin walk, I tell my husband, "Bring me my chariot." I go careening around the yard with him in hot pursuit. It feels like toad's wild ride & I laugh like an idiot the whole time.

Tips on mowing lawns....

Just found this post Al. I smiled and laughed...Oh my goodness! I loved the visuals and it sounds like you do too. SOunds like you're having a fun razor, taizor...whatever.....ha ha...oh I get it! you friends and family are throwing you a fund raiser!
We are honored to be a part of it. Take pictures for all of us and know we're in your cheerleading section...if only we had some low rider jumpers on our chairs heh?
All the best! Frizzel

Oh, Al! My stomach aches from laughing at your 5-2006 Tips for Full Contact Lawn Mowing! Being new to the forum, I've been printing out the posts with good tips for living with ALS -- now I've got this on the top of the pile! I LOVE mowing with my riding mower, and I sure don't want to have to stop doing it. Your handy-dandy tips will keep me mowing merrily far longer, I'm sure! Thanks for all your other practical, humorous, and compassionate posts as well. Carol

This post of Al's is a classic. I laugh every time it surfaces! Cindy

Maybe Next Time

These guys could've made $10,000 off America's Funniest Videos if only the cameras had been running...... :)

The neighbour and I were just yesterday discussing how to put blades on the power chair. Make myself useful again. LOL.
AL.

Al, Thanks for the story . I too could see this all in my mind. I have a a few bad days as of late and BOY OH BOY did I get a belly laugh (after I read you were ok). Laughing is the best medicine. Especially with the price of rilutek. I hope the wife kissed the boo-boos. BLESS YOU I needed that. sherry

Al! Guess what?!

Have you noticed that you have over 1,000 posts from people who have read your tips on lawn mowing?! Al, you will be with this forum long after you're not posting. Joy sent to you this day. Hey, when you figure out how to put those blades on your chair let us know. I actually ride my riding lawn mower without the blades running to get about our property and country neighborhood. Gotta live while we can with what we've got!:-D

Frizzel

grampal lawn mowing basics

Al, I thought your lawn mowing adventure was funny. Its nice to see some topics that can make us laugh and laugh I did. I thought it was so funny I shared it with my son on the other day. His responce is maybe I should take over mowing your yard. I am not sure if I am ready to give the mowing up yet, but now I have a option.

OK, after reading all the posts again; I can not help but tell on myself one more time.

Remember at the end of one of my stories I got rid of the old riding lawn mower? Well, I figured the problem was that it was old and did not have enough controls to properly be able to operate it with me losing my legs, etc. Yes, I know you see it coming, I bought a new fancy, easy to control, with my "limited abilities", riding lawn mower around January of 2007. :-D At the time I could still transfer from the wheelchair to the seat and use my cane to move my legs.

I used the cane to work the brake and forward gas pedal and all the rest were pretty much hand controls. I thought now I can get back to being a man; doing manly things, GRRRRRR!. Go cut the grass. So I manage after about 15 minutes and considerable pain to get on the "Little Red Devil", so named for it's nature. Of course I had to be sure my wife was gone.

The front yard was a breeze. Wow how nice it looked when I finished cutting it like only I could do, no one else knows how to cut grass right. :twisted: I went to the dreaded back yard with it's 40 degree banking and managed to get it cut, almost flipping the mower 5 times in the process. But I was proud I did it, no matter what my wife had said about I better never get on that thing again. After that my wife or grandson would cut the grass.

Then this year............the grass was so high, wife was gone, no one home, just had to try to see if I can do this again. It's a man thing see, a crazy man thing.:?:

Now it takes me about 30 minutes to get on the mower that is parked in the garage. I have figured it out you see. I have this 8 foot long piece of Velcro and I can Velcro myself to the lawn mower to keep my legs from falling off on the hill out back. So here I am all tied to the mower with my trusty side kick CANE Mutiny, on top of Ole Red Devil, here we go.

I go slow speed and I am able to cut the front yard. Some of my neighbors are looking at me like what a nut job. HUH? :oops: Then on to the back yard. I get on the 40 degree hill, using the cane to try to use the brake, holding the seat to keep from falling off with one hand, suddenly realize I need a third hand to turn the wheel, the other is trying to use the brake. I grab the wheel fast to turn, mower heads downhill like a nitro fueled dragster, goes up on 2 wheels, I grab the seat even harder with one hand, try to brake but can't find it, I'm headed for the shed and THE FLOWER BED, OH NO, I HAVE TO TURN THE WHEEL JUST A LITTLE TO MISS IT, It must have been about that time the rocket assist motors kicked in on the mower,.................................I'm actually hearing someone screaming and suddenly realize it is me.

Knees are Velcroed together, behind is trying to pucker and grab the seat to hold on, cane is gone, flowers are gone, wall is hit, AL is going to be DEAD when wife comes home. The wheels are digging a hole trying to still go forward. What do you do? :oops::oops: Turned the key off.

Isn't life fun? When will I ever learn? NEVER. That is what being a man is all about at least to me. it is the nature of the beast.
My grandson now is in charge of the LITTLE RED DEMON.:confused:

What's that saying about God looking after fools and little children?
LOL AL.

Oh I am so glad you guys resurected this thread. It has to be one of the funniest in the internet. Stay away from lawn mowers, you two!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back