00/0000
Country
US
State
MS
City
Jackson
Hi all,

I am a 25 Y/O male and I have been worried about having ALS for 3 years. I started twitching in my left arm 3 years ago (April 2019) which soon spread to twitching through my entire body. My left side seems to be worse than my right side of my body. The only other symptoms that I have now is that my left hip and ankle get very tight and my left leg just has an overall weird feeling to it. My hand does shake when I do small tasks like tie a fly fishing line but I haven’t noticed any other weakness. I am still weight lifting and running. Thanks for the help.

Please read here: Read Before Posting

In it you will read about twitching, weird feelings, shaking, etc, and you will also find a recommendation you visit with a doctor, who can provide you in person feedback while conducting a clinical exam.

I don’t post much anymore but this one to me is an exception.

A point I think has been lost lately is this… ALS is a rare terminal disease.
So rare yet to today little has been accomplished for a treatment much
less a cure.

What is rare on top of the disease being rare alone to the 10th power is…
anyone in their 20s and even 30s being diagnosed with ALS. The odds
are almost the same as lottery odds.

In simple words… when one, two, three of our extremely ALS
knowledgeable members can assure those that ALS is not in their picture…
feel relieved and work with your doctors to resolve issues you have.

If you are in Health Anxiety it will not help your anxiety to linger
reading old threads maybe hoping to find one that makes you even
more worrying about ALS. I’ve followed some looking at old threads
going back to 2009, 2001, 2015… they come back and the replies from
our very ALS knowledgeable members are the same. Many have had
their threads closed for their own mental health.

Come ask questions then... try to accept the very knowledgeable answered replies.

Last edited:
As others have said, if you need help for health anxiety, get it now before you waste more of your life. Tightness on one side often relates to sleep, which you can video. A new pillow, mattress, work chair, sofa, etc., along with being mindful about your posture, can make a difference. Shaking and difficulty with fine motor skills like tying flies is often associated with poor sleep, stress, dehydration, nutritional imbalances, sugar highs, street drugs, etc.

Being monitored by a good PCP is helpful. If yours isn't up for your concerns, find one who is, even via telehealth.

Best,
Laurie

If it was ALS, would I have had many more symptoms by now?

Very likely and the especially you would have had different symptoms. If you are concerned go to the doc and have it checked out. Also tell them about your concerns and what might be causing you're symptoms. Keep an open mind and don't balk if stress might turn out to be at the bottom of this. With running and lifting weights please don't forget to also stretch and relax your muscles.

Let me be blunt - my husband was dead less than a year after diagnosis. Yes you would be severely impacted and paralysed by now at the least.

I hope you can work with your doctors towards full health.

My left arm “feels weak” and is stiff but I can still do everything I have normally done, include lifting weights. Any cause for concern?

Hello-

This forum recommends you start by visiting with a doctor first before jumping to "terminal disease" when you have weird feelings. Please understand we provide that link so we don't have to keep answering the same questions- and your questions have already been answered there. Go see your doctor to allay your fears. Thank you

Go back to the first reply you received here. Shiftkicker gave you a link to a post we put huge effort into creating and it explains why 'feeling weak' has nothing to do with ALS. Please use this resource to educate yourself and take your concerns to your doctor. We truly can't say more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back