Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Nj
City
Mahwah
Hi I am a 32 year old male going through some odd symptoms that make me a little worried about ALS or any MND.

Just recently I have been having some issues swallowing. It feels as if my throat isn't swallowing. I can swallow without choking but when i drink liquids I only feel myself swallow towards the end of my throat as if it is a delayed reaction. My breathing also feels shallow. Almost as if I'm not breathing, but I feel ok. Im also not slurring my words but my tongue feels odd when I talk and My mouth produces a lot of saliva.

That has been going on for a few weeks and I choked a little on some water this morning which brought me here.

Also the last few days my left arm feels extremely light as if its not even there and when I grab something my hand barely grabs it. everything feels like it will just drop out.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Im waiting on my Dr visit.

I'm not a expert on ALS so I can't really comment on that. I personally think you have something else going on that needs medical attention pretty soon. Your left arm feeling that way really alarms me. Maybe, because I see alot of things working at a hospital. Please call your family physician and get checked out a.s.a.p. and tell them all your symptoms. Keep a complete list of when everything happens and if anything triggers anything. Like do things act of worst when overly tired or anything. Please keep us posted on what you find out. But, please don't worry unnecessarily about it being ALS. Best of luck to you. Kim

Dave. ALS is really rare. Your symptoms could be many things not MND. Best to see a doctor and only return here if the diagnosis points to ALS.

Sooner is better. If your hand actually cannot pick things up, that's a serious problem of some sort.

My arms sometimes feels this way i think. I had some routine blood work recently and its also not my heart. Have seen a cardiologisy recently for checkup on minor issues.

Does this soun like it could be the start of an MND from personal experience or maybe just
Nerves?

Those responses made me pretty anxious. Yikes!

In my experience ( and I am the 6th person in my family to be affected in my lifetime) none of us started the way you describe. You keep saying I feel I felt fine when my ALS started I just started falling. My sister felt fine but she could not button her shirt. Go see your physician. Feeling things all over does not sound like my experience. It was in every one of our cases an instance of localized muscle failure to perform. Good luck

>>Does this soun like it could be the start of an MND

No.

>>or maybe just Nerves?

Yes.

Thanks for the replies guys. Very helpful. Will post update when i go to dr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back