Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Perth
City
Dunblane
Hi guys,

Over the past 3 weeks Ive been feeling really light headed and if I over exert myself I really feel ill and have to lie down.

Now about 4 months ago I developed a problem with my right knee - went to see a Physio with no real result so I gave up and rested it.

Im an active athlete and began to just work through the injury withsome reasonable results. I ran a half marathon, trained for my sprints and felt strong although I was aware that around my knee cap was slightly "worn" looking (slimmer than my left knee).

Away on holiday a month ago - had a rough day with some surfing accidents and I rolled over to feel a sharp pain in my left hip. It was an electric shock sensation which didnt go away. A week later it developed into a buzzing sensation up my spine and down onto my left arm and feet. This was only really noticable at night. I went to a doc who sent me to a neuro.

Neuro did an exam and found no weakness but an MRI was advised for the sake of confirming that there was no problem. I felt ok when I was there bar the pain in the hip.

Since then the pain in my hip has gone. It has been replaced with twitching in various muscle groups (around my ankles on both legs, my hamstrings and quads especially around the area of my right knee cap where I previously had pain, around my hip and buttocks, in my shoulder,in my neck...you get the picture) these are more persistent in my legs but they do come and go. Usually a once off twitch every few mins then a twitch elsewhere every min or two. And so on.

This is worse a night. I have had nights where my feet and my hands cramp. I will wake up to that and have a numb face on my left hand side - difficulty in opening my eye on that side and a dryness in both eyes.

Now I have begun to experience a feeling of tightness in my throat like theres something stuck in it. This comes and goes. Also my tongue has a lumpiness on one side - the left side. I can still move it around but it looks thinner and has a definative ragged edge.

I would not describe myself as being physically weak. I can do push ups as usual and squats on one leg with no real problems. I am extremely fatigued though. I can hardly walk for this feeling of lightheadedness. I sleep a good 10 hours every night at least and I have stopped doing my physical exercise.

When I feel ok in the morning I can get up and go to the pool for a few lengths. Getting back is tricky for the light headedness but the twitching seems less severe after that. Provided I dont over do it.

Can I ask if multiple areas being affected simultaneously is common for ALS? Can I ask if exercise is possible with ALS? IS it recommended? Do any of you with confirmed ALS have good days and bad days? Do nauseaus feelings like a sensation of seasickness occur? And how about intermittent tinnitus with your hearing?

SORRY FOR THE LENGTH OF THIS IM A 24 YEAROLD GUY and THIS IS A BIG BAD SCAREY TIME FOR ME.

How on earth did you come-up with ALS based on all of that? Let me guess: the muscle twitches and google. Go see a physician and I'm sure he/she will give you some answers . . . but I'm fairly confident it isn't going to be ALS.

Thanks Wright,

Yeah sorry I was a bit heavy on the details. I guess its the way this is progressing with the cramps getting worse and the way that my wrists and hands seem thinner and my tongue is looking really ragged at the edge now (a lumpy furrowed edge - it gave me a fright when I first noticed it today) that is causing me some fears. It just seems to match so well now and the lightheaded dizzyness and fatigue is rough.

Cheers for reading all that though ;)
T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back