Status
Not open for further replies.
Fran-

I agree with Jo- you are amazing & awesome to take on the responsibilities of the support group with all you have to deal with in taking care of Hal. My utmost respect for you; I'm sure Hal is proud of you as well! ;-)

I also agree that the forum is great for the info & experience, but actual eye contact & the ability to reach out & touch in the flesh is comforting & healing for the soul.

Fran, that is an amazing story, and I have to add to Jo's sentiment--You have taken a LOT of time and responsibility to be the facilitator. And, Oh, to have someone like you as a PT--an ALS savvy PT is worth so much. I appreciate you and Hal here at the forum greatly.
Ann

It has been quite awhile since we went to a meeting- luckily it was not like that. However, ours was ok. I attend the cALS group if and when I can but feel more at home with my FTD group. Jim wasn't getting much out of the pALS group though - never clicked with him that the other members (in chairs, with support braces, etc) had the same disease he did. I think as his disease progresses I may attend more of the cALS groups - but right now we are just not at the same place as the other members.

I go to the support group meeting every month,I enjoy the meeting,it is put on buy Lynn Negely,she lost her husband to ALS in 2002.At that time she had nobody to ask for help,no support in the area.I can still drive and I offer to get anyone to the meeting that needs help.Several Vets attend,I was told about the VA benifits at the meeting,had no idea I was entitled to that,several months later I started receiving them.I enjoy meeting other victims of this evil disease and comparing notes.We have guest speakers,Doctors,Hospice,information people.We got to the ALS walk this Sat.we are a team.

Fran, and friends,

I can't tell you how nice it was to hear from the heart of someone who is actually a facilitator. Thank you - thank you. I have to remind myself how important it is to have all the information so that we are not caught "unaware" by things my brother is facing. I know you will understand when I tell you that I feel protective of him, and must say I thought a gentler approach would have been taken by some medical professionals (not all however), as well as by the support group we attended.

I will say my brother seems to be gathering all the information he needs to have, and has already begun taking steps to make sure he addresses important decisions and what he needs to start putting in place. I am in awe of his strength and courage. Even though his emotions are up and down - naturally. I pray God gives me the wisdom to understand how I can best help and be there for him.

I hope I don't vent too much in this forum. I know I am not the only one who has "moments" from time to time. But I am thankful for each of you, who impart comfort, encouragement, knowledge and friendship. Because of this, tomorrow is easier to face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back