ALS? Or Prolonged Sleep Deprivation and Anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMS

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Reading
Preface: Male, 27. About September 10 I came down with fairly intense fatigue, nausea and diarrhea which kept me out of work several days and wasn't really improving. Felt weak in my right arm and right pectoral. I ended up at the ER where they did an EKG and blood tests which came back normal. A few days after the ER when I felt close to well enough to return to work I developed insomnia. Fatigue really didn't cease and lost about 10 pounds during whole ordeal. Finally saw PCP on Sept. 25 and he chalked it up to anxiety and prescribed a sleep aid.

Fast forward to Oct. 22 and I've only managed to sleep 2-4 hours a night with several nights of no sleep, on a person who is used to a full 8 most nights. About a week or two ago I began feeling clumsy in my hands and like my right pinky and ring fingers are uncoordinated. My right thigh feels weak and shaky with somewhat brisk reflexes, as does my right shoulder / bicep but can still move both. I read the FAQ and having a tough time between chalking it up as not "failure" or if re-innervation is at play. The fact that all of this is on my right side is freaking me out and I've got a follow-up with my PCP and possibly a referral to a neurologist scheduled. Also will be seeing a behavioral therapist.

Could this be ALS? or can Anxiety and Sleep Deprivation really cause all this (as within the bounds of the FAQ)?

The initial bout with illness indicates you are likely still experiencing the after effects from that. Were you tested for Covid? Regardless, what you've posted isn't really how ALS presents itself. Not to say there isn't something of concern, but ALS would probably not even come into a conversation with a neurologist given what you've reported.

All the best at your upcoming doctor's appt- hopefully you get some answers. Note- anxiety and insomnia (which can come from anxiety) can absolutely cause many other profoundly debilitating physical symptoms. Not saying that's your case, but to answer that particular question.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was tested for COVID and was negative.

Gastroenteritis can deplete electrolytes and cause symptoms such as you mention. I wouldn't skimp on fruit/veg juices as a way to replenish these that may be easier to handle than tons of produce.

Sounds trite, but also a good time to re-evaluate your pillow, mattress, and seated position for work or leisure. Poor sleep typically involves tossing and turning that can challenge your postural support.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back