Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
Im 22, For the last 6 months i have noticed that my limbs (arms, leg) "go to sleep" very easily. For example i can hold my arm over a chair for no more than 3 seconds and its already completely asleep. Poor circulation i guess?

A month ago i was diagnosed with ADD, anxiety, and clinical depression. I was prescribed adderall. In the last two weeks i have noticed "twitching", im not sure if id call it a spasm(maybe they are the same thing) because they dont typically last for more than a second, and do not hurt. Whats worrisome about them is that they are all over, mainly in my right thigh and right leg in general, but they also are in my back, chest, both arms, and rarely in my left arm or left leg. Never hands or feet, and maybe once in my face.

These twitches come when im sitting or standing still, never while moving, i would estimate that i get about 20-40 twitches in a 30 minutes period all over my body while still.

I was thinking it could be a possible side effect from adderal, but i was unable to really find any information online, and ive talked to two pharmacists that both said it may be possible but they had never heard of it. I aslo have stopped taking my adderall since school is out and i still have the twitches two days later.

today, I havent been as twitchy but my left finger tips kind of feel numb (like they are asleep) all day. When i lay down it seems to rotate to my left,right toes and to my right finger tips. My limbs kind of feel fatigued, not really weak.

I have a bad history of developing symptoms AFTER i find out what the symptoms are, i know the twitching is real because it was there for a week before i started to worry. Like i said earlier my limbs feel fatigued just from walking, my left arm feels like i have pulled a muscle ( im having to take breaks while typing this to massage the muscle) , but i have played basketball twice today and was able to play as usual... could still even dunk and run normally.

sorry to put so much information, but i just wanted to make sure i included everything that might make a difference. I have an appointment next week with my p doc but i was too worried to wait...

any ideas on what this could be, or could you eliminate anything? last week was also finals week, and a very stressful one at that, maybe that has something to do with it....

thanks!

King twitch
For a start, not sure what actually brought you to this forum. None of your symptoms have anything to do with ALS. Dr g o o g l e, no doubt. He's a bad doctor, only gives a snippet of the big picture, and leads people astray.

Widespread twitches have nothing to do with ALS. They are very common in athletes, anxious people and unhealthy non athletes! Most people experience them at some point in their life. I bet they were worse after your basketball game?

There is a hereditary condition that can give people a predisposition to pressure palsies. In other words, pressure on the nerves, very quickly causes numbness and tingling. It's rare and doubtful that you have it, but it's something to keep in mind if the problem continues.

Go and see your doctor. It's always a good starting point, rather than asking a bunch of untrained people, for their advice.

I wish you the best

King,
I'm not a doc tor, but I concur with Alyoops diagnosis. Please stop oo gl ing and you really shouldn't stop medication without consulting the doc tor first. Often times you need to lower the dose gradually, to avoid side effects.

Good luck to you,

agree with above. not symptoms of als. wanted to add that twitching IS a side effect of adderall

please go see a counsellor about your anxiety and depression. The pills in my experience confuse the issues unless you have a real chemical imbalance . You are so young to have these woriies take care

It's very unusual for adderall to be given to adults with ADD--as it works differently in an adult brain.

In any case--did they also prescribe an anti-depressant to help with the depression? It might be a good idea to see a counselor, too.

As we've said here at least a zillion times--ALS doesn't start with twitching. It just doesn't. It also doesn't cause sensory issues such as the numbness and tingling. Different nerves.

What CAN cause the numbness and tingling is a pinched nerve somewhere. Extended computer use can cause trapped nerves in the wrist or elbow.

You don't have ALS--but treat what you already know you have--and see if your doc can see if there is a nerve trapped that's causing the numbness and tingling.

They could also be side-effects of medications--so take what's prescribed to you as prescribed--but let the doctor know of any side-effects to let THE DOC decide if dosages need adjusted.

People react very differently to various medications. Pills alone won't cure depression--that counselor will help. Good luck to you.

King,

Its 2 days into the next week. Have you had that appointment yet? JW

Toto, I think you should use the blindfold this time!

Kiwi, this time I was being facetious. And you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! (I think that is the saying.) His appointment is probably tomorrow. But he'll be back and like the others with 1 more symp tom to add to the list.

You are right but it's because you keep twitching and I have to look in your beady black eyes when I'm trying to aim. Wear the fold!

I believe all of the answers you seek were contained in the questions you asked.

Anxiety, internalizing symptoms, etc etc.

Please take care of your mental health as it can definitely effect your physical health.

If you have real concerns my advice is see a D r.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back