ALS "joke" in new movie "Ted"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so wrong, would someone say, woman to woman, I hope you get Breast Cancer, or something similar? This has stirred up a lot of talk on F B, and I am sure it will make national news, and there will be some sort of apology. It is not right, bit it may bring awareness. My daughter is really pissed. Could you imagine having a young child(teen) who has been affected by ALS, going to See this movie with friends.

Perhaps we whine too much with politically correctness. I for one approach my illness as merely a challenge. In 1964 I was involved in an accident which caused me to lose both of my legs below the knee. I could have laid around in self-pity or demanded someone take care of me, but instead I pulled myself up by my missing bootstraps and faced the world ahead of me as a challenge. I succeeded in completing my college education to become a teacher and later administrator, all the while raising a family. I have two of the most appreciative children and five of the finest grandchildren a man could want. Of course I want to include one of the most loving caregivers, my wife.

ALS is a nasty and disgusting disease, of which we will all agree, but we must approach this challenge as another step in completing our life cycle. Do we sit around in self-pity, demanding that others feel the same? Or do we face our life's challenge and enjoy what is available for as long as we can.

I met my first challenge (artificial legs) long before there was ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) where no specific advantage was offered to those with disabilities. Should I have announced to the world, "look at me, I got no legs, don't make fun of me"? Or should I have embraced the fact that I was going where others have gone before me? I have great friends and we often joke about my handicapping condition. "You Hickory legged (so and so)", "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down" (to paraphrase a toy commercial from days gone by). Should I have approached these "insults" as demeaning and degrading to my affliction? Or accept it as being aware of the problem and understanding of overcoming the challenge?

My 48 year challenge as an amputee has come to an end as I am now confined to a PWC and can no longer walk with my prosthesis. My challenge now is to work through efforts to increase my breathing capacity, work at maintaining my strength, and greet each day in a positive way. As a result, those good friends who joked about my handicapping condition are great friends as they visit often, take care of chores around my home (painting and preparing), and join in events where we can converse and reminisce over past adventures, as well as creating new adventures.

Was that comment appropriate? Perhaps it was an awakening to the fact that ALS is still a problem and not just something that Lou once had. Just like everywhere you see pink ribbons reminds you that breast cancer is still among us, perhaps it is best to remind people that ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease is still present and most common. When they say "Cancer Survivor", I often think that there are no ALS survivors, (what's the big deal?) Then I say, "Buckle up Bill, we're burning daylight". Forget all those whines and self pities, we've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (To paraphrase Smokey and the Bandit) Life is too short to worry about the trivial matters. Was it wrong to put that in the movie? Some say yes but others may look at that as bringing ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease into the minds of the movie viewers. (Of course, the constant moaning and complaining will make the moviegoers think of ALS when they hear that comment.) Perhaps complaining is appropriate as it emphasizes a small comment portion of the movie that in most cases would have been dismissed or forgotten. Now that there is such an outcry, perhaps our plight is in more in the conscious mind. I for one am not offended by the comment, but if it raises awareness to ALS then perhaps it is best to complain and bring the subject to the forefront.

Keep looking ahead of you but remember what's behind you and keep those beside you as you travel through this new challenge in your life.

Perhaps we whine too much with politically correctness. I for one approach my illness as merely a challenge. In 1964 I was involved in an accident which caused me to lose both of my legs below the knee. I could have laid around in self-pity or demanded someone take care of me, but instead I pulled myself up by my missing bootstraps and faced the world ahead of me as a challenge. I succeeded in completing my college education to become a teacher and later administrator, all the while raising a family. I have two of the most appreciative children and five of the finest grandchildren a man could want. Of course I want to include one of the most loving caregivers, my wife.

ALS is a nasty and disgusting disease, of which we will all agree, but we must approach this challenge as another step in completing our life cycle. Do we sit around in self-pity, demanding that others feel the same? Or do we face our life's challenge and enjoy what is available for as long as we can.

I met my first challenge (artificial legs) long before there was ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) where no specific advantage was offered to those with disabilities. Should I have announced to the world, "look at me, I got no legs, don't make fun of me"? Or should I have embraced the fact that I was going where others have gone before me? I have great friends and we often joke about my handicapping condition. "You Hickory legged (so and so)", "Weebles wobble but they don't fall down" (to paraphrase a toy commercial from days gone by). Should I have approached these "insults" as demeaning and degrading to my affliction? Or accept it as being aware of the problem and understanding of overcoming the challenge?

My 48 year challenge as an amputee has come to an end as I am now confined to a PWC and can no longer walk with my prosthesis. My challenge now is to work through efforts to increase my breathing capacity, work at maintaining my strength, and greet each day in a positive way. As a result, those good friends who joked about my handicapping condition are great friends as they visit often, take care of chores around my home (painting and preparing), and join in events where we can converse and reminisce over past adventures, as well as creating new adventures.

Was that comment appropriate? Perhaps it was an awakening to the fact that ALS is still a problem and not just something that Lou once had. Just like everywhere you see pink ribbons reminds you that breast cancer is still among us, perhaps it is best to remind people that ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease is still present and most common. When they say "Cancer Survivor", I often think that there are no ALS survivors, (what's the big deal?) Then I say, "Buckle up Bill, we're burning daylight". Forget all those whines and self pities, we've got a long way to go and a short time to get there. (To paraphrase Smokey and the Bandit) Life is too short to worry about the trivial matters. Was it wrong to put that in the movie? Some say yes but others may look at that as bringing ALS/Lou Gehrig's disease into the minds of the movie viewers. (Of course, the constant moaning and complaining will make the moviegoers think of ALS when they hear that comment.) Perhaps complaining is appropriate as it emphasizes a small comment portion of the movie that in most cases would have been dismissed or forgotten. Now that there is such an outcry, perhaps our plight is in more in the conscious mind. I for one am not offended by the comment, but if it raises awareness to ALS then perhaps it is best to complain and bring the subject to the forefront.

Keep looking ahead of you but remember what's behind you and keep those beside you as you travel through this new challenge in your life.

My 16 year old son saw the movie last night.
If he was offended, he didn't say anything to me.

Look, Seth MacFarlane is a jackass, and that's what makes him funny to many people.

If you look at the context of the comment, meaning that "Lou Gehrig's or ALS" is the worst thing that could happen to someone. He is absolutly right, and the millions of people who will see this movie, and hear that line, will now know it's the worst thing around.

Advertisers say "There is no such thing as bad publicity"

I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but having millions of people realize that this is the worst thing out there isn't going to make us any worse off is it?

Cheers,
Casey

Well said Bill.

And well said to you to glupavomomiche:)

Well said Glupa!

Yep....just read your blog Sarah. Very well said.

Great blog , Sarah!

Nice job Sarah!

Attachments

• fantail thumbs up.jpg
    fantail thumbs up.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 306
It's fascinating to hear people's different perspecitives on this. While it would be encouraging to think that the mention of ALS in the movie acknowledges what a terrible disease it is and serves to bring awareness to it, to me it feels like it was used because the term is unusual (how many diseases are named after people?) and sounded a little offbeat and humorous, because who the hell knows what ALS is, beyond its nickname stemming from a famous baseball player?)

I would love to know if Seth Farlane knew the specifics of ALS when he approved that joke. Maybe he did - few topics are off-limits on Family Guy - but maybe he didn't. And I'm betting he hasn't had a close friend or family member affected by it. And mind, I say this without criticism, as someone who loves Family Guy.

Also, my apologies if I originally posted this in the wrong section. Since I wasn't offering a joke or presenting this as one, I wasn't sure where it should go.

Oops - I meant Seth McFarlane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back