Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
Now that I am in a position to help, Stu is "winding down?" I can understand his frustration (and burnout). Can someone explain if there was a specific incident that has caused him to make this decision?

It's pouring rain here and I mean more than literally!

I know, CJ. I just started making jewlery and it is being sold at my local health food stores. I have cards attached that explain what ALS is and what the ALSGA is all about. I follow Stu on facebook and I must have missed something. My heart is just breaking for him. I just spoke with him thru emails not too long ago. I don't understand! I'm so sad!

I really can't say for sure as I never had any contact with Stu. But from what I gathered from a few posts by others on FB, there were some dishonest folks involved... recipients and/or donors. But don't quote me on that. But it is indeed a shame :(

So so so sad!

I think it had something to do with laws that a charity operates under. They can not receive more than 50% of there money from only one person, and we all know Stu was probably 90% of the money coming in.

A sad time for us in so many ways.. I am so saddened, the developments have been so hard lately..

How can this be?.....One of the most generous people on the face of the earth........no, no no.....

Seems, in short, the lack of support has played in this decision. Sigh... ALS is just something no one wants to know about, I guess. And perhaps the ALS community did not support him enough by providing videos and whatnot for fundraisers.

Folks, even though the ALSGA is seemingly gone, please keep in mind when your pALS passes - donate the equipment DIRECTLY to another pALS (that you know). If you were on Medicare and the equipment was essentially paid for by them, just pass it on and let pALS/cALS pay it forward. Please do not stick it in the loaner closet to gather dust! I've been waiting 2 weeks for a simple phone call to schedule p/u of items borrowed from the loaner closet that I know other pALS could use NOW! :-( How hard is it to make a phone call?

There has got to be a better way to get needed equipment to people...

Sorry, that was all over the place.

Thank You CJ. I think you are right. There are so many in need. I am now wondering how many other pALS have been denied muchly needed equipment, and no loaner closets, or near by ones that dont do shipping to those in need. Great idea. You are so very generous, thank you my angel. We should all do the same, we must take care of our own, as no one seems too. Hand to Hand. {{{HUGS}}}

Just have to give a...you done good and are so right... to CJ. Making monetary donations is important, making donations of equipment to loan closets is important (if they are well managed) but nothing is more helpful, personal or more direct than giving unneeded equipment direct to someone in need. It just doesn't get any better than that.

You are right, Cj.

CJ, I think you are as cool as a person gets.
Thanks.

Hi Guys,
I thought something might be going on....in late December after my husband passed, I contacted Stu because we live within 20 minutes of his location. I spoke to him about all of the equipment that we had that we would like to donate (most of it brand new). He asked me to send him an email with the details for each piece of equipment. I never heard back from him. After several attempts, I contacted our local MDA Loaner Closet and they picked everything up within 2 days.

It is so sad because I know he worked hard to help so many others!

D

Though I did not know Stu, I did know about the ALS Guardian Angels. Sorry to hear about the whole thing.
I am in VA. And I am very grateful for the folks that work at my local ALS chapter. They are the best. Always willing to get me anything to make my life easier. I have become close with a lady who works at mine.

There are many people who have benefited from Stu's work and generosity, my PALS among them. And for that help, we are eternally grateful. Thanks Stu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back