Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ma
City
Groveland
Hi.

I understand these are quite common on these boards but I suppose I should explain my story.

It all started when I noticed the muscles on the exterior part of my legs were "flat" especially when I flexed them, however both left and right legs had this flatness.

I googled muscles weakness and unfortunately now I have seemed to developed hypochondria from it, its starting to interfere with my daily routine.

The scariest part is the seeming weakness or footdrop that Im not sure if it is perceived or it is footdrop.

I have been constantly testing my right ankle and calf in the strength exercises, I can hop around on one leg, lift and stand on my toes. As well as walk on the heels of my foot and lift up my right leg and stand on it.
However my BIGGEST! fear is not that I have footdrop now but I am developing footdrop slowly, which scares me so much.

I notice it a slight weakness on my right calf, and a slight weakness in lifting my toes on the right. overall a slight weakness on my right foot.

Also im not sure if this could cause weakness but I spend a good deal on my computer chair, and I sit "indian style" meaning I sit on my right leg could this be the cause of this weakness?

Im not sure but something just feels off about my right foot, and I fear its footdrop in its earliest stages..
Its just when I test to see if I have footdrop im not sure if its my anxiery creating these symptoms or early stages.

By the way I just turned 22.

-THank you guys.

Foot drop is the inability to pick up the front of the foot. If you can walk on your toes, stand on one leg and hop you are fine. Your posture is not good if you are sitting "indian" style.

You are letting fear and anxiety get the better of you. Stop looking up symp toms. Stop testing your self. If you are really concerned or can't stop worrying then go to a dr who can perform the types of tests in the proper way that needs to be done. I wish you peace.

yes thank you for the reply.
I completely understand that I am passing these tests, but its more of the fear of the gradual degradation of my shin/ankle muscle.

I suppose my at my next annual check up I will ask my GP

"Foot drop" in ALS means that you would have difficulty bringing the front of your foot up.
Foot drop is caused by weakness or paralysis of the muscles involved in lifting the front part of the foot. The muscles that control the joint action of dorsiflexion no longer work, and thus, the foot drops. This causes the toes to drag along the ground while walking which may cause you to stumble and fall while walking on uneven surfaces such as carpets.

What you describe above doesn't sound like the "foot drop" caused by MND or ALS.

I think you'd be better off waiting for your appointment with your GP to clarify any doubts you may have.

Regards,

NH

The peroneal nerve runs down the outside of your lower leg. Compression of this nerve can cause the symptoms you are describing. This can be from something as simple as having your legs crossed too often or even if you drive a lot with your leg resting against the centre tunnel of your call. Sitting the way you do can cause the symptoms you are having. In rare cases you can have a cyst causing this compression. In most cases you would have tingling and or pain down the outside of the leg and top of the foot. Just remember don’t panic it is most likely something minor. Most likely if you stop sitting the way you do in a few weeks the symptoms will be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back