Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
Greetings,

like many others, I have found myself on this forum. It all started a few months ago with twitching in my left calf. It was almost non stop. I then started to experience pain in my left calf when I would walk on an incline or decline. I then realized I was not able to do a calf raise with my left leg. The muscle twitches seems to be happening all over my body at this point. I avoided google for a long time but when I was unable to do calf raises on my left leg I became pretty concerned and did the thing everyone says to not do, Google. ALS was the first thing to pop up, especially with the calf issue of not being able to do a calf raise. I believe the article I read here ever used that as an example of muscle weakness and a potential sign. I have struggled with health anxiety in the past, and I’m hopeful that’s what the issue is right now. I’m hopeful my anxiety is a big player in all of this. There is that other side of me that just fears that I have ALS due to the muscle weakness in the calf as well as the twitching.

i should also note I did have a back injury in January of this year that was a bulging disc in my back, and they also found degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back. Thank you in advance to everyone who takes the time to post and share their experiences to me. A big thing for health anxiety is just talking about it I have found. I do have an appointment with my primary care doctor this Friday, as well as my physical therapist for continued work with my back. I talked to my physical therapist about it and he seems pretty convinced it isn’t anything to worry about. I am pretty concerned, however, and am curious if anyone could shed light on how reputable a physical therapist saying that is. I just don’t have much experience working with them or know about their profession and if his opinion on that is something I should take to heart.

Come back after you have seen a doctor and let us know what they say - there is nothing in what you say that would make one think you have a terminal illness. I hope your appointment goes well - remember not to ask if you have ALS, just let your doctor do their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back