Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
AB
City
Edmonton
Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post. 42y/o male. I'm very worried about ALS given my experience over the past few months.

In Oct 2020 I started to get hot and red hands/feet. Not all the time, mostly at night, but enough to notice. This progressed in Dec to a feeling in both feet of feeling very cold from time to time. They do feel cold to the touch, but not as cold as they actually feel in the foot. Sometimes it's almost painfully cold. I've tried to ignore but it's present quite a bit. A few weeks ago I developed other symptoms that are really fuelling my worry now. My left leg constantly feels slightly different. When I flex or engage my leg I can't seem to engage those muscles to the same extent I can my right, ever slightly. My toes don't spread the same on that foot, and I don't seem to have the same level of control over my muscles as I do my right (ex. can't tap left foot on ground as consistently as I can my right). When I contract my muscles by squatting on a leg, I can see what looks like back-and-forth rippling in my contracted thigh muscle. I also have sore muscles in my left arm, and sensations/feelings in all arms/legs/face, and even slight twitching in muscles. My left leg continues to feel heavy, I am sore/crampy in both legs, and feel my hands sometimes aren't as coordinated as they should be.

Needless to say I've been a wreak with anxiety and constant examination of my symptoms and body. I had normal blood work, and my GP said he'd refer me to a neurologist but didn't expect to see anything. My wife is an NP and she conducted a basic nuro exam and said I have no clinical symptoms, strength feels normal, normal reflexes, normal sensation. She feels my anxiety/OCD is at work. I've been working out, lifting some weight, and running as an attempt to move past this, and while I don't notice any difference in strength or endurance, I feel everything is heavy and I'm having to really try harder than I did before.

I'm a wreak, and worried that I am noticing the start of something serious like ALS. I feel like I'm slipping down a path, and everyday I have something new to add to my ALS list. Muscles look different on left side. Funny feeling in arm. Tried to extend a reach for something and had a electrical feeling run to my finger. The list goes on.

Again, thanks for reading and I appreciate any support or thoughts you might have.

Hi Scot-

Have a read here first: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms

Most of the things you list are not associated with ALS. With regards to twitching, they're about as common as coughs and can mean a variety of things, from nothing at all to vitamin deficiency, stress, post viral issues, etc, etc. Burning hands, redness, cold feeling and the like can definitely mean something, but not at all anything to do with ALS.

If you are not able to feel reassured by your wife about ALS, a trip to the doctor might be in order to remove that burden from your relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back