Not open for further replies.

Tod

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Thank you all for having this forum to help people deal with this disease. I am being evaluated for ALS with both tongue and other muscle EMG in a few weeks, after noting widespread, continuous muscle fasiculation and some dysphagia. My question is specifically regarding the added value of a tongue EMG - does this further help in the actual diagnosis of the disease, and if so, in what way? If not, what is the added value? Unfortunately, to date I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this question from the neurologist. I would highly value any information/thoughts about this from the forum for my own better understanding. Thank you so much - Tod

If you have bulbar als the tongue muscle is one place they look for it.

Thanks for the quick response. I do understand that, but doesn't either ALS show up just as readily in the other muscles if they're already continuously fasciculating? - Tod

It should but you also report dysphagia which in ALS is caused by bulbar dysfuction. it is not uncommon to include a bulbar muscle in a screening emg. Different doctors prefer different sites for bulbar screening and yours apparently prefers the tongue. Your doctor is just being very thorough

I would say, trust your neurologist to know where they want tested. They are pretty smart.
Let us know the result and all the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back