ALS diagnosis 12/21/22 wasn't a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2022
Country
US
State
CO
City
HOTCHKISS
Greetings all,
After years of symptoms the elusive smoking gun. Dx in December at Anschutz Neurology center in Denver, CO.
Limb onset Lt hand 4/2019 arm followed, Rt hand 5/21 arm is moveable but little function, speech issues 10/22 new PCP and many tests, MRI'S here I am, I'm thankful for all of the informative, compassionate posts.
I look forward to more interaction as continue on this journey.

Welcome. Sorry you have to be here.

sorry too for such a long diagnostic journey. It is supposed to correlate with a slow progression so hope that is true for you

Thank you, Nikki.
Thats why they call it practicing medicine, I guess. 2 ulnar releases, two carpel tunnel releases and a 3-level cervical fusion.
But hey no nerve compressions, got to be thankful for that.

Welcome, Steve, while sorry you are here. Let us know how we can help.

Best,
Laurie

Welcome to the Forum Steve. I have found a lot of information and good emotional support on this Forum.
Unfortunately, it was not much of a surprise when my husband got his diagnosis either. I texted my son the night before we went to Emory and told him, I thought it could be ALS. My husband had a laminectomy which I really don't know if it was ever needed. Then he was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy for a couple of years and had immunoglobulin treatments. Please don't hesitate to share any feelings or ask any questions.

Sorry to meet you here, SteveO. I hope the forum is as helpful for you as it is for me. Sorry to hear about the weakness, etc.

I had R ulnar release in late August and my elbow still hurts multiple times a day. What's your experience been?

Thinking of you Steve. This is a knowledgeable and caring group to journey with.

Welcome Steve, you will find great support here.

Mupstate,
I had the Lt ulnar release and also Guyon canal release in one shot, never had pain really,
I also had Rt ulnar release and carpel tunnel release with a tendon transfer for thumb extension in one shot, other than localized swelling I was pain free in 10 days.

That's great to hear. I don't really understand why I still get elbow pain from August surgery.

It may be that the procedure I had where the funny bone is removed, Medial Epicondylectomy more thoroughly decompresses the nerve.
Sorry your still having pain, I also used a tens unit as needed.

Oh, where do you place the thingies? I used to use TENS for back pain but then decided it wasn't really helping so discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator:
My unit has 4 pads I used 2 on my upper arm and 2 on my lower in an X fashion. Mainly helped blood flow/inflamation
But the dull ache was also eliminated for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back