Reason
Other
Country
US
State
TX
City
Austin
I’ve finally accepted that as parents to two children with different, life threatening illnesses, my husband and I are in an undesirable, yet unique position. The emotional shock, anger and denial over Johnny’s ALS diagnosis at the tender age of 18 remains (probably forever) but has evolved to ‘What can I do?’

Well, I guess I’ll just organize something...

I have reserved an area of our local park October 24th, 2009for a combination ALS/Diabetes Run/Walk. I’ve organized countless large events but never one this large and so deeply personal to our family. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea really how to do this. I’ve been accumulating information off the internet and have observed several similar events recently. If anyone has knowledge of this type of event or where I can find information, please let me know. I'll post this also on ALSmatter. org

Thanks! :p

Valya,

I don't have any ideas myself, but wanted to say good luck with it.

I assume you're going to donate to some sort of diabetes and ALS charities. I would figure out who those are and ask them.

Great idea! If you are interested in donating to research you could contact ALS-TDI (als.net).
Let me know when you get something set - I have friends in Chico I would like to notify.

Sharonca

Thanks for the replies and ideas. :p

I'm leaning towards the Juvenile Diabetes Association and the Forbes Norris ALS Research Center in San Francisco. Forbes Norris is dependent totally on donations. Forbes Norris (as they said at Johnny's last visit) is considered to be on of the top 5 ALS Research Clinics in the nation and they are accredited by the ALSA. They will also be one of the few (again, as they said) to be working with any new stem cell procedures.

The date is reserved for 10/24/09 with the city. I'll turn in the application and fees this week to finalize it.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend :p

Chico walk,10-24-09

Hi,
I am a new member. I have a cousin who has been battling ALS for three years now. I also have a former employee who is at advanced stages of ALS. I would like to register for the walk in Chico, is this still in the works?
thanks,
runningbear

Go for a Walk

Hello Runningbear. Yes the walk is still in the works, so put that day in your calendar :razz:. I have the One Mile area of Bidwell Park reserved. I'll get you more information as it's available.

Valya - are you on Facebook? Good place to advertise. Also advertise on ALS Matters.

Sharon

Chico walk-Valya

Hi Valya,
Thanks for replying. When was the date of the walk again? October? I want to tell my aunt about this. Has there been many people interested? Keep me posted!

runningbear

Hello Runningbear. The date is October 24th from 9am to noon at the One Mile Pool in Bidwell Park, Chico. So far, there has been interest in town but it hasn't yet been advertised via flyers, posters, etc. It's a bit too soon for that. I'll get into that after we return from vacation in a couple weeks. I'll keep you posted on progress :-D

Sharonca: Good idea on the facebook. I have a face book but don't relly use it-mostly for posting on my brothers site. I'll look into it though. It was posted on the old site but I guess I need to repost it there? Thanks for the idea. :-D

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to a web site a friend made for the 'Watson Walk 4 a Cure' I'm organizing for October 24th, 2009, here in Chico, CA. The site is still under construction but the flyer, registration form and pledge sheet are available.

There is a planning meeting scheduled for this Thursday and I've had a good response from the 125 donation req letters. The tshirt order will go to screen printers this week. It's coming together but I've never done a walk event before so it's a learn by the seat of my pants thing :shock:

Watsonwalk4aCure.com

Valya,
I think that is awesome, I would love to buy a couple of t-shirts, bless your heart. My mom suffered from Diabetes, and I mnd, you are a inspiration.

Thanks hoping :p. I"ll let you know as soon as I have them available.

Our planning meeting went well. We had the boys come in for a quick hello prior to the meeting. Many of the people there had never met them and they both just look so darn handsome and well, healthy. I managed to get through the meeting only crying just once. I"m so grateful to everyone who came out. Its overwhelming to see how many people really do care.

Valya - Do you mind if I post site on my FaceBook page and on patients like me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharonca and anyone else who would be interested, pls feel free to post the 'watsonwalk4acure.com' site anywhere and everywhere. On the site, you can down load a pdf file of the flyer, the registration and pledge forms and receipts. Or you can email a registration form (which goes directly to me) right off the web site.

For those not in the area but who would like to contribute a donation, this can also be done on the site with Paypal.

About the Facebook..My entire family seems to be on facebook. I don't care of it tbh, but I signed up for an acct and posted the event on my page. Tried to do an 'ad' for the walk, but couldn't figure out the billing and finally gave up. I dont' mind paying as much as I mind not knowing what I"ll be paying ahead of time lol.

I'm on another als support group, but have never posted there..well once, but no one saw it haha. Idk if I can say the name here? Anyways, they are all networked on facebook. I plan on tracking them down and joining. I've found this other site to be as wonderful as this site.

Anyways, the plans for the walk are going well. I wish we had more registrants but it's still early. About 15 local businesses have contributed. The art work is done at the screen printers, just waiting for the number of shirts to print up. He's giving us a deal, two colors on a white shirt for $4.oo ea. There is a ton of community interest,the ball seems to be rolling faster and faster with contributions and people emailing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back