N/A
Country
US
State
NY
City
Brooklyn
Hi,

I never dreamed I'd be posting on here. And I hope it turns out I am crazy for even thinking about this. This is what I am experiencing:

-Occasional tingling and cold feeling in my right hand, especially when using the computer.

-Weakness or tired feeling in both legs. Sometimes there is a slight strain when I stand up after sitting for a long time. When I go to the gym and do leg exercises, I am weaker than I used to be. I have pulled or strained several leg muscles in the last several weeks.

-Cracking in my right calf and now the knee.

-Light headed and tired feeling. Sometimes when I start to walk, I feel like gravity is holding me back, like I am walking into a wall.

-Phlegm in my nose, sinus and throat. Had it for a while, then had a cold last week, and now still have the phlegm.

-I sometimes have trouble turning pages with my right fingers. This started shortly after reading that ALS and Parkinsons cause problems with turning keys or picking things up.

-Mild tremors / twitches more in the legs, but also arms, butt, neck. Again, I started feeling this within hours of reading about fasciculations and ALS.

-My right foot feels a little strained as I walk.

I have had these symptoms on and off for about two months. They all come and go, and I've had a couple of weeks where most of the symptoms disappeared.

I saw a neurologist who said my neuro tests were normal and said "I don't think you have ALS". I am having my EMG tomorrow and am scared both about the test and the possible results, or that I may not have an answer, or that I may not believe a negative diagnosis.

I have looked up all kinds of neuro tests, and am trying to self test myself, which is probably silly. I can walk on my toes and my heels, and I see no difference between movement in either hand or foot. I also did a typing test I read about, to type the number 0 as many times as possible in 10 seconds. Normal is 58 or 59. I am at 62-66. I also keep looking at my arms and legs, trying to see if one is bigger or smaller than the other. I can't tell anything.

I would love to hear any comments or hopefully reassurances about how I'm feeling. I realize its early and I've had few tests and it could be any number of things. But the prospect of ALS is really scary.

Thanks for reading and helping.

Pythia

Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Ithaca
I made my first post similar to this last week. I am still scared, but no longer terrified. The people on this forum are really great - I am sure someone can tell you more about ALS and the symptoms.

Good luck with the EMG - I have to wait several weeks for insurance approval to have one done.

My only advice would be to not panic - as hard as that sounds - try to relax; the twitches just get worse with anxiety!

My best wishes!
Pythia

Blizna

Distinguished member
Country
CZ
State
CZ
City
Prague
ord1375: If you had seen symptons after you read about them - its almost certainly psychosomatic reaction due to anxiety. You dont have to even feel anxiety, it could be hidden and will show as a great trouble (like this).

BTW: I was so panic that I made PC program for testing my fingers stiffness - this test with keyes pressed during 10 seconds. It shows how many times you hit the key during this time and saves it to list :D

Yes, Im mad

Status
Not open for further replies.