Diagnosis
06/2009
Country
US
State
Pa.
City
Beaver Falls
Hello. I was diagnosed with PLS in June. I got in touch with the ALS clinic and they suggested a physical for a second opinion. Has anyone with PLS gone to a ALS clinic for a second opinion?

Thanks,
Ice cream Lady

Okay, I'll answer up. My first neuro, a local doc, suspected I had PLS and sent me to a MDA/ALS clinic for a second opinion. At the time, I had progressive weakness in my arms and legs along with spasticity, fasciculations and some muscle atrophy in my right shoulder.

Since then, the shoulder atrophy has been blamed on frozen shoulder syndrome. Lately, the cramps and spasticity have calmed down quite a bit and I'm not feeling too bad.

In my case, the local neuro suspected I had something nasty and thought it in my best interest to get a second opinion.

Zaphoon

My husband was first diagnosed with ALS by an HMO physician. He then went to an ALS clinic for a second opinion and they diagnosed him with PLS.

To Zaphoon,
If you don't mind me asking, what was your EMG findings?
Thank you, Cookie

Cookie,

Immediately after my EMG at the MDA clinic was administered, the doctor told me I did not have ALS but I couldn't tell you a thing about the details of the test. The MDA clinic did not diagnose me; A neuro with the VA has given me PLS as a differential DX. He's pretty certain in his opinion.

Zaphoon

Zaphoon,
Thank you ery much for your reply.
I was given MND diagnosis based on my 1st EMG. Wright was very kind to review it and didn't agree with my neuro reading.
I'm going to ALS clinic next week. Thanks, Cookie

Icecream,
I would think a ALS clinic would be a logical place for PLS patient's to be seen. I am encouraged that you will be attending soon.

For PLS to be so rare, it seems there sure are a lot of folks running around getting diagnosed with it. I still don't think the final word on my situation will be PLS (still betting on a couple of pinched nerves).

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back