Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
What qualification need to be met to become an ALS Clinic Certified CenterSM? I went to their site and could not find an outline for qualification that must be satisfied to be such an clinic. What are the advantages, beyond they see a lot or only ALS patients? Do they have more advance equipment to DX or just more experience and knowledge or both the above? If I missed this in this forum somewhere I apologize in advanced. I ask in hopes of relevance for those who health coverage's do not cover the added cost of visiting one of these centers as opposed to an unaffiliated or local neurologist.

I think you'd have to go to the AMA to get that info. If you do some research at www.alsa.org you will find that maybe 30 to 50 thousand Americans have ALS or MND'S. Most of them try to be seen at an ALS Clinic if possible. They see more so can recognise syptoms and interpret tests better. Just as an observation. You've posted on the ALSTDI site as well as here numerous times in two days. I think you are obsessing about this ALS thing. I'm no doctor but think you're going way overboard here. Can you get to a GP and discuss this anxiety?
AL.

My wife agrees, but realizes something is not right. I don't think a GP will do any good, but I do have a Psych doc I'm going to see. The last 4 year of my life has been hell, one of my close childhood friends was murder in his own bed, I lost multiple friends in a fire at a night club, my gunner and squad leader were killed in Iraq on a patrol, I was injured and ill which left me disable, then it toke a year to get my military benefit while I lost my cars and home and almost my wife and kids, then my wife's brother kill himself while we where suppose to move a cross country and for obviously reason are not able to an lost all that money, I almost died last year when my motorcycle flipped on the highway last year, which caused us to file bankruptcy, and my brother almost died in a chemical accident. Now this! Sorry AL, you can send me a bill, but I may have to file it with bankruptcy.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and link AL.

I don't bill. I'm just a guy with ALS that helps run this site to help people. From what you just wrote you've got every right to be worried, confused and just pis_ed with the system. I can not even imagine all that stuff happening to one guy. I've had maybe 1/4 of similar stuff happen to me last year. Life can be crappy but you have to look at each day as a new beginning. Sounds like BS but if you end up dealing with ALS it is the only way to go. You can give up but as a soldier, that is not an option.
AL.

I see you're from Ohio; Case-Western in Cleveland has a wonderful clinic, I hear.

I have an EMG at an ALS Clinic in Cleveland Friday, most of the MD's there are from Case. Thanks

Last edited:
Now I'm realy confused!

The last neurologist I seen at the V A Hospital report:

Motor: everything normal except (to make this a much shorter post) for 3 beats of clonus bilaterally and left Hoffman present.

Impression: (shorten version) neurological exam normal, no evidence of MND (ALS) or any other neurological disease. I do not see a reason to purse an EMG at this time.

How can this be said when both clonus and Hoffman are positive and both are upper motor neuron lesion symptoms. Please forgive me for my ignorance, but can some one please explain this to me, because I'm really confused and aggravated, seeing he never mentioned the above findings to me, I read this in his report, I always thought they had to tell you if they found anything abnormal?

Wow, Raoul! You have lived quite a life! I have been reading your posts, and they have left me dumbfounded! I am going to be real nice about it. I really don't want to sound mean, but how in the world can you withstand all of these bad incidents happening to you, or your family? Is this for real? This is waaaay too much. Did you go to combat in Desert Storm, or the Iraqi war? Have you been like this all your life, or are these results from going to war? How can you stand it? Are you able to sleep at night?

I hope you guys don't hate me for asking these questions, but I just had to do it! Raoul, I will be praying for you!

Irma

Unfortunately it is for real, although I wish it was not. There is so much more that has happened that I haven't posted, don't worry I spare you all and myself. Way tooooooo much! Iraq. No, from as an young adult I was able to burry a lot of these early experience, even through Iraq, I numb out in Iraq, it wasn't till I came home and started getting treatment for PTSD and depression, unit all this crap came up again, before treatment I thought this stuff went on in every family, and no one just talked about it. I tried to talk to a sibling about it and they went back and told one of the relatives responsible and they intern had my drink spiked. Funny thing is when I confronted them, and told them i would go to the police, they stated "go head, no one is going to believe you and they'd have to be a generous to figure it out." and guess what they were right, even with documented physical symptoms. I can't stand it, but like a lot of people here with ALS, you just have to except the fact and deal with them the best way you can. I have a real problem sleeping at night, even when I took prescription med for it. I and my family appreciate your prayers. I would like to thank the forum for putting up with me as well. Thank You Al(l).

Ernie is actually my name, Raoul was my grandfather.

Dear Ernie Please go to the Va hospital and tell them what you have been thru maybe you need to be admitted for a while until you can get the right medications to calm you down. SOmetimes life can be cruel but there is soo much help out there for vets.Please for yourself and famly talk to someone,I am sure you will feel better. ALS is not your problem right now Depression and anxiety is, and for good reasons Pat

Point taken. I apologize, I just realized that theses are my problems and I'm not contributing to the forum as I should be, people here have enough going on. Sorry!

Dont appologies. I wish I could help you I am not equiped to I am not a doctor I dont think this forum is helping you. Its scaring you .Pat

Good luck, Ernie, and God bless you! I pray that you find the right kind of help you need. Patricia is right, just go to the VA hospital, and tell them everything, I am sure they'll help you. Take care!

Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back