00/0000
Country
SA
State
WC
City
Somerset
Good day.
I'm a 24 year old male. I've started getting symptoms in May this year.
The symptoms started with with fasiculations in my legs which soon spread to the rest of my body.
I'm already an anxious person - having had health anxiety episodes since the end of last year, but this pushed it even further. I've read the sticky on how als is about failing and not feeling, but confuses me when reading other articles online on how people experience pain.
Now that being said. I've been to a Neurologist twice where he performed a EMG (in 3 muscles), a nerve conduction test and a F-test. It was all clear.
The reason for this post is due to the pain I have in my arms and especially my hands. I can't write more than a third of a page before my hand surcomes to unbearable pain. I can't type message or scrole on my sellphone using my tumb for long before the same happens.
I can still walk easily, climb stares, lift heavy weights, do pullups effortlessly, squat relatively well, tie my shoe laces and open jars.
I guess what is still bothering me is the pain in my hands and how it shakes once Ive used them to pick something up.

Can anxiety cause all of this? This is keeping me from living my life as I ought to.
Should I get a second opinion?

If you've been cleared by a neurologist and had a clear EMG, there's not much more this forum could provide by way of reassurance- you wouldn't find anyone here disagreeing with a medical expert and no signs on an EMG. To me it sounds like you may need to visit with your doctor again to discuss the cause of your pain, but to pursue ALS as the reason would not be a good use of your time.

With regards to anxiety, it would be important to find proper support for your anxiety while you also try to figure out what may be causing your hand pain. This is not a dismissal of your symptoms but a recommendation to find treatment for everything that is affecting your day to day functioning.

Take care

Oh yes, anxiety really can do what you are describing, but ALS does not do that at all.
Please see your doctor and discuss your fears.

After tweaking your diet, considering your sleep, keyboarding/gaming position, etc., if the pain persists, you can ask for a referral to a hand therapist.

Last edited:
Thank you very much everyone. I'll follow your advice. I'm going to start by making some tweaks and additionally take magnesium supplements. Any other supplements that you have found that works in these circumstances?

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back