PALS
Country
US
State
wisconsin
City
seymour
als and the menstrual cycle

I hope someone can help me with this question.
Altho i do feel funny posting it.
I am 42,i have als. Does anyone know if als stops menstural cycle?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't be afraid to ask about anything. The docs probably don't know for sure so it's up to us to help each other to learn about it. Sorry though, that's one subject I'm lacking in knowledge about. Although I do remember one of the caregivers here mentioning that he had to assist his wife with changing so she didn't stop and she was your age.

Last edited:
thanks al

I think it does affect it,,i guess time will tell correct?
Come on ladies i cant be the only one out here.
Thanks
Paulab

In another post recently a male CALS spoke of the challenge of dealing with his wife's periods and them wishing for menopause to come on! I cant remember who it was.....it was the post about nose picking and ball scratching, remember? (Gosh what a crude bunch we've become!)
Beth

Hi!

I'm 38 and My cycle as gotten heavier and lasts longer and I am worried about how my husbands going to deal with it. should just try to get a hysterectomy:?: . one less thing for him to have to take care of. I was going to ask the Dr. about it and forgot.

Best wishes to you all:hysterectomy:

slm455

Well gang this a crude and cruel disease and the docs don't know or don't want to talk about such things so we might as well try and help each other out. My son would crap his drawers talking about stuff like this but it doesn't really bother me. I've seen a lot of bad things and this is no big deal. A hysterectomy is a bit radical. Ask about a uterine ablation I think it's called , they use a laser to burn out the uterine wall. Far less intrusive and the same results. AL.

thanks for the info

Well mine has stopped thats why i am asking. I just hope it was suppose to and that i dont have something else wrong,,thats all i would need.

PaulaB

I think there is some sort of pill available that will make periods less frequent. It would be worth asking your doctor about. I don't know what the side effects might be.

periods

Hi

My friend is only 42 as well, and so far she still has her period. I haven't heard anything about that or whether it will stop or not.

Al, you are great for trying to help with this girly stuff. :)

Paula and SMf, You are both so young. Do you have children and have you told them? I am looking for some others experiences with young children and a parent who suffers from ALS. What have you done to protect them, tell them and comfort them? What kind of reactions have you had from them?

I know it is a tough subject. So far my friends kids and my kids seem to be going with the flow. They are 11 and under, so we are flying by the seat of our pants with them. They only know so much so far.

Barbie :-|

Okay... it was me! My wife continued on her cycle until she was 49. I believe that this is not unsusal at that age. From my experience... for the 4 years that I dealt with it, there was no change in her menstrual cycle.
On the bright side... I can change a tampon with one hand tied behind my back! Although I'm not sure it's a marketable talent.

T.

Now that's funny TBear. Better than George W>

That was funny TBEAR
Thanks for the replys everyone.
PaulaB

wow is my face red now

LOL,,,duh silly me,,i was talking to my aunt about this and she says,,well come on now did ya ever think maybe your just going thru the change? Hmm i bet shes right.

PaulaB

For those women who do not want to have their periods anymore, there is a birth control that you can take continuously which will skip over your period.

My PALS' period had stopped. I believe it was due to her extreme weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back