ALS and MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquelyn

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about a connection between ALS and MS. My Dad has ALS (diagnosed Jan/06) and my sister has MS (diagnosed July/03). The neurologist told us that they are similar but miles apart. I'm not exactly sure what he meant by that. Maybe someone out there may be experiencing a similar situation....

Well, my Dad has had MS for 30 years, diagnosed near the time of my birth. My Mom was diagnosed with ALS 2 weeks ago. My Dad, while having the chronic and non-remitting MS, has had a slow but severe progression. My Mom had had symptoms for almost 2 years now, and the Dr at the ALS clinic says that her progression is relatively mild, all things considered.

All I can say is that it's torture, all around, for me and my little brother. :(

Jacquelyn,
My wife was diagnosed with MS about 4 years ago, but Copaxone has kept it in check except for one flare up. My mother in law was diagnosed with ALS about a year and a half ago. You're the first person I've seen that has these two diseases in their immediate family, and I've wondered the same thing as to whether they're connected somehow. The docs have said no, there is no connection, but nonetheless, I watch my 12 year old son closely. As far as similarity, they both are nerve attacking diseases, but AlS usually doesn't stop when it starts. MS can be remitting, which means it will slow down and even go dormant. There is lots of info on the web, but be careful as to what sites you use. There is quite a bit of disinformation out there that will scare your britches off unnecessarily. I would propose querying this site as to some trusted places you could get some factual info from. I've only found this site recently, but so far, they all seem to be really nice folks. My only advice would be that if you don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ, get one. I don't know where my family would be now if we didn't trust in Him. Stand fast and God bless.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back