Reason
Other
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hi, I am a writer for the Muscular Dystrophy Association's ALS newsmagazine. I am researching a story on whether the iPad is useful for people with ALS or not. If you or anyone you know with ALS is using an iPad, I'd be very interested in contacting you. Please respond here, or email me at [email protected] with your contact info so we can communicate directly. Thanks very much, Miriam Davidson

Last edited by a moderator:
I have als and use the ipad to communicate it is the next best thing to speaking. It is slower than speech, but it it so usefull when one cannot speak

I just ordered a Droid2 in hopes that I can run a type and talk. I don't see why it wouldn't. Its basicly a computer (I hope) :)

What program are you using for your ipad

I am using speak it on mynipad

they getting ready to work with husband on this they talked about dnyovox ? i think that is how u spell it , thensomeone suggested i phone. but it doesnt have very good control of hands and one suggested i pad have u tried all 3 , do u have it connectied to chair cause he cant hold anything . thank you for any response u give us .

I have an ACER ASPIRE ONE with Etriloquist loaded

I have an iPod Touch 64G wifi with Proloquo2go loaded

I have an iPad 64G wifi with Proloquo2go loaded

ACER
Pros - used for working from home, general surfing, email etc
Cons - speakers are not loud enough in a conversation

IPOD TOUCH
Pros - very portable, will hold books, audiobooks, movies, email, msn chats etc
Cons - speaker is not useful. i use headphones. keyboard is to small to use now

IPAD
Pros - portable, will hold books, audiobooks, movies, email, msn chats etc
keyboard is awesome, health care people love that i communicate thru it, speaker is loud enough
Cons - you can not stick it in a pocket .

Hope this helps.
Glen

thank you Glen yes it was very helpful.

Glen, thanks for the info.

Thank you Glen. It is very helpful information.

My husband has an ipad and has downloaded the app "prologue2go". He can still speak, but has always been very computer oriented. Once he could not sit at his desk and use the trackball comfortably, I thought the ipad might work well for him as he lays on the bed or where ever he feels most comfortable. He loves it!

Stephanie

I know that this is straying a bit from the original topic; sorry.

Does anyone know the name of software/hardware that will let you control the computer with eye movements?

I believe Erica is still available. Google erica eye gaze.

AL.

Got an IPAD for Christmas and love the whole thing,course dont know how to use all of it yet.Did download the speakit program and really like it,and it only cost 2.00 dollars,have textaloud on my laptop and paid 100.00 dollars for that,think I like speakit better.
Hugs To all------Ken

I just bought a samsung galaxy tab and downloaded* talk a droid * and it works great, my voice is nearly gone now so I use this a lot to speak . I also use *swype* , I don't have to type the letters, you just drag you finger to spell the word out, this is much faster than typing. I don't know much about all this, I just happened upon it and gave it a try and I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back