Status
Not open for further replies.
Voice Dreams, wow that sounds great, I am going to look into that!

Our speech pathologist today is ordering a switch for my PALS iPad. We use predictable and I chose it originally as it is compatible with a switch and I knew we would need that at some point.

I was told at my last clinic visit to start voice banking. My question is should I save the phrases and sentences I create as .wav files or MP3 files or both. I have a windows computer and an ipad. I don't what device the clinic will recommend. They gave me paperwork that mentions a SGD device so I suspect a Tobi or Dynavox. I don't know much about either one, thigh I've scanned through the Tobi website.

Any help is appreciated.

There is some program you can use to bank you voice so later on it can do all the talking for you. I am not sure what it is since my voice was first to go. I make life confusing. I have a laptop running windows and I use Next Up talker on it, an iPad using Speak It, and android smartphone I use Speech Assistant on. My hands are fading so I find the phone easiest to use. I plan to use the laptop when things get really bad.

I do not know about Apple computers but, if you have windows 7 on your computer all need is a microphone. There is in Accessories a program called Voice Recorder. You can save the recordings on a Jump drive. There are some good programs for the iPad but, since they do not have a USB port it would be almost impossible to import your voice recordings. Dynavox has some really good apps for the iPad but, they are a little spendy. I found help with voice banking at the ALS Clinic if attended. That would be a great place to start

I do not believe that it makes any difference-- .wav and MP3 files can be read on all windows and I think apple computers too.

Just watch out for anything that requires java. The iPad doesn't like Java

the new version of Predictable for iPad (we upgraded this week) include the ability to voice bank

Tracy,
I would honestly just record the things that matter, like, "I love you," "thanks honey," "I'm sorry," etc. I recommend Tobii, because that is what i have experience with. I'm really excited about the eye gaze unit and accessories for Windows 8 tablets.

Lgelb and others,
I have always found my ALS clinic therapists greatly helpful, but it doesn't hurt to formulate some questions beforehand. They got me exactly what i needed.

FWIW

The makers of Proloquo2Go have developed a new App called Proloquo4Text. The App is similar to the text based part of Proloquo2Go but does not include the symbol (picture) based component. I believe it allows for control by switches. On sale for 50% off until December 31.

Predictable, another text-to-speech App, is available for Apple and Android tablets. Switch control is available on Predictable. Many different languages are available.

I'm sometimes use iWordQ for speech on my iPad. It is not a speech program per se but close enough for me. I got it because I use the company's word-prediction program on my iMac and less expensive than Predictable or Proloquo2Go.

Apple Tablets have much more built-in accessibility features than Android tablets. But, it depends on what you need. At the time I looked, I did not consider a Windows tablet.

Hope this helps
Chris

I found a Stylus pen online that was so easy to use when my brother could no longer push on the letters. Stay Strong!

Ok, Im pretty Apple fluent but I dont understand all the references to switches. Can someone take a stab at explaining to me what those are?

There are different programs that you can use your eyes to type or speech if he can use it.
I have checked as I am losing my voice.
Victoria

I see that alsa golden west chapter is giving a webinar on using tablets with ALS next Thursday. You can register on their si te

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back