Diagnosis
10/2019
Country
US
State
NC
City
Bessemer City
I’m posting this because I haven’t seen any posts about this topic. I’ve been pre-diabetic for years and now I’m struggling to get and keep my blood sugar under control. I tried Metformin last year but gave it up after discovering that my body wasn’t absorbing the tablets. We’re trying Januvia now. I take Riluzole daily and I’m doing okay as far as my ALS symptoms. I seem to be experiencing some problems with neuropathy, especially heavy sweating. It’s been a struggle for the last 2-3 months.

I hope you can get this under control. As a result of ALS I became diabetic and take metformin. My doctor was not surprised it occurred due to the muscle atrophy.

My husband was a well controlled Type 2 Diabetic for many years before ALS. Once he was full-time in the chair, his numbers started skyrocketing. Eventually he switched to U500 insulin--doses so massive that when he was in the hospital the pharmacy loaded the needles and sent them up to his room--they would not allow the insulin bottle to leave their control. ALS is so unique to each person that there just seems to be no consistency at all--and I suspect that Diabetic response to it is the same. Our neurologist made it clear that PALS who are a bit overweight do better than those without the extra pounds, so trying to control diabetes by keeping weight down is probably not the best answer with ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back