Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
TX
City
Manor
Okay, I am very confused about the prevalence of ALS/MND as it pertains to age. I have heard that it generally increases with age, and peaks around the 50's. Everyone always says how it is SO RARE to get ALS in your 20's or 30's, but it seems like virtually everyone I hear about getting the disease is in this age group! I am 20 years old and want to get and idea of how common it is to get ALS in the 20 and under age group, but I am getting mixed signals from different sources :-(

Thanks for your help.

Mixed messages

I am sure you dont have ALS Have you been to your family Md maybe he can talk to you You seem to be fixated on this Maybe a professional can give you something for your anxiety. Your a young man you need to concentrate on you life ahead God bless Pat

The sad thing is ALS really does not select a specific age to hit. I always say it is better to get checked out. There is not enough specific tracking of ages or progression. There needs to be more research and a much more effort to find a cure or a treatment. If you read all the postings you will see that there is a vast range of ages that ALS does affect. It seems to be hard to put a cap on who is at risk and who is not. But the info provided for a median age is 56. But based off of what I have been seeing it seems to be much lower than that with a few people being affected even in their teens and twenties.
G

It is not impossible for someone so young to have ALS, but a very very rare thing and would be called juvenile ALS.

From your other post, it doesn't sound like you have ALS.

To ease your mind, you should make an appointment with a neurologist to find out what may be going on.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back