Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
Hi everyone, My original thread seems to be not allowing for any more posts. I have not posted anything in months but we just went to the ALS clinic. My dad had a EMG in feb 2020 and a repeat EMG this week. There was no changes in the EMG. The neuro said its either MMN or a ALS variant? They will be treating him with an injectionx 6 over 3months for the MMN in order to rule it out. If no improvement in muscle strength is gained we know its the variant. His weakness is in left arm and a bit in the right. Most of the atrophy is in the shoulder area. He has experienced symptoms for almost 2yrs. Does anyone know if slow progressing als stays generally slow or does it ever speed up? Thx for any imput in advance.

Mon's previous thread

Sorry to hear this news. "Slower" forms of ALS are often slow for a while, but usually ultimately losses mount up. If most of the atrophy is in the shoulder and upper arm, and his arms are very thin, it's possible that he has the "flail arm" variant of ALS, which my husband had, and for which survival is on average around six years. But from the first issues you posted earlier, that had more to do with the lower arm/fingers, it did sound more like MMN.

If you want to post the latest de-identified EMG, we could be more helpful, but if weakness is limited to the arms after 2y, that could fit with either slower ALS or MMN.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back