Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Mays Landing
Was wondering how to handle all the people that have been suggesting so very much to George to get well! ALL WELLING MEANING OF COURSE.

The other day, a Chinese doctor called us who is friends with someone my husband comes in contact with, suggesting acupuncture, herbs, and holistic cures.

Please tell me that all these things have been exhausted and no improvement with ALS?
Could our physicians be in the dark about these type of treatments etc. and maybe they can help him?

I feel I want him to try them all!
He is not very positive about it and feels that if these helped ALS patients, we would surely know about it.

Question today is, have any of you tried the acupuncture? :?:

My prayers for you all and for your caregivers.

Patty

Hi Patty. Some of the members here have tried acupuncture and while some felt it gave short term relief to the aches and pains none have claimed any long term benefits. The other herbs and supplements are about the same. No real proof anywhere that it slows or does much for ALS. With some of these supplements your mind can actually make you think you feel better. It doesn't usually take your body long to say noooo this ain't working. If he wanted to try something, everyone's jumping on the Lithium band wagon.
AL.

Long before we knew my dad had ALS, he went to an acupuncturist two times for treatment of back pain. We now understand that the back problems were caused by weakening muscles in his back which were no longer holding up his spine properly. The acupuncture did nothing for the underlying problem of dying neurons. That said, he did seem to have a bit less pain briefly after the treatments. It might have been due to other factors though, such as being on vacation and getting more rest. I would say, if he is being offered a free treatment, it can't hurt, and who knows, maybe it will help ameliorate some of the symptoms. If you are going to be shelling out a lot of money for it, on the other hand, it would have to be clearly helpful.

I did acupunture. Never provided any relief. Have not tried the herb suppliments.

The nurse who is the head of the ALS Clinic where I was diagnosed told me that there would be people coming out of the woodwork offering all kinds of things to try. Her husband was diagnosed in 1993 with a very fast progressing form of ALS and lived 13 years, so she had personal experience too. She said that Dr. Appel is one of the top ALS experts in the world and he has heard of everything, so if a treatment helped, he would have you do it. And at this time, besides drug trials that you can chose to be on, he only recommends Rilutek, Vitamin C & E, CoQ-10, and melatonin.

? Very Fast form of ALS 13 years ?. try 3 years Geo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back