00/0000
Country
AU
State
VI
City
Melbourne
Hi all
I think I have als but can’t get into Neuro for a while.
Stiffness when trying to exercise, muscles don’t relax right away. Can’t lift anything near what I used to few weeks ago. Feels like muscles have no power and in slow motion.
Dr only performed physical test which was simple.
Please help in any way.

Your post was moved and your profile edited as you can not diagnose yourself

you have apparently seen your doctor who found nothing on exam?

you didn’t ask a question.

What are "all the signs point to yes"? You've not listed any and your doctor did not think you were displaying any, either, from what I gather reading your post. More information would be helpful.

Last edited:
Hands cramp up after physical activity, can’t really feel muscle contraction as much, movement feels more mechanical and not fluent. It’s early days and and I told the dr that I feel like there is something wrong neurologicaly, I’ve always been a fitness person and know how my body feels. Now I I completely can’t lift anything close to what I could 3 weeks ago.
The dr just told me to squeeze his hand and did few physical tests ThAts about it.
I’ve read the sticky note and you have explained weakness as failing to do something, but how about prior to failing ? Things get harder or just don’t work at all?
Thank you for your time.

With ALS, things don't feel like they are getting difficult, one just can no longer do what one could before. For example, the beginning stages of limb onset in a foot is the inability to go up on toes or back on heels. As this failure progresses to more muscle losses in the calf, this causes the foot to drop, thus the inability to no longer walk properly. If onset begins in the hand, one loses the ability to do up zippers, button shirts, or open bottle tops, for example. It's a complete function failure.

Also, someone doesn't go from lifting 50 pounds to only lifting 20 pounds or have hand cramps after physical activity without it being accompanied by failure (see above). So, you are describing sensory issues and ALS is a disease of motor issues i.e . lack of movement.

What you are describing is not ALS at all. Further tests with your GP could be warranted as it could be a viral issue.

Good luck to you.

Thank you for the reply.
Viral infection could be possible, but losing contraction strength and walking doesn’t feel normal. Does one wake up and suddenly not be able to use hand or foot? Or do they feel like everyday tasks are difficult to do.
I’m sorry I just don’t panic over small thing or ever have been paranoid over health.
If it was quick to see neuro I wouldn’t ask you the questions here.
When I squeeze my back laying in bed it cramps up for 20 Sec or so.
Can limb onset start in thighs and glutes ?
I’ve never knew how long it takes to see a neuro as I’ve never had to.
My blood work wasn’t very good but still don’t know if it can explain anything physical.
Had an infected cyst removed on neck that infected lymph nodes. But I have never worried about that affecting anything else.
My physical symptoms just don’t make sense.
My pushing and pulling ability decreased.
I don’t feel any pain or twitching just few spasms.
I’ve hardly seen a dr in my life and now they don’t even listen to your symptoms.
I don’t feel all my muscles firing or being used.
Thank you for explaining the basic concept.
Much appreciated, I’m just concerned as to why my body is failing atm

As stated above, ALS isn't about "feeling tasks are hard to do." It's about being unable to do them, period. If your GP is not listening, find another, but you are not describing ALS and I don't know why you are arguing the point.

Cramps in response to movement and decreased pushing/pulling can be down to many things, a virus certainly being one. I have no idea how you could feel that your muscles are not firing or being used. If the nerves that control the muscles weren't firing, you wouldn't have use of those muscles at all. But at any rate, if numerous abilities have changed dramatically in a matter of weeks, that is not ALS and would certainly suggest a systemic issue.

I don't know what "wasn't very good" blood work was, but that would have nothing to do with ALS, either.

So, actually all signs point to "no," a very good thing. My advice is to see a new GP or keep a symptom diary, including low-grade fever, blood pressure and pulse, and share with your current GP and let them track your strength as you go.

Best,
Laurie

You've asked the question of failing already and it was answered. No, ALS can't start in glutes or thighs. Your body isn't failing, you feel like things are more difficult. Totally different.

You appear to be reporting symptoms in legs and arms over a very short period yet without any obvious failure. ALS starts in one place like a hand and spreads in that area ( arm in this case) before moving on to another area

if you have abnormal blood work that may hold the answer but ALS does not show in labs test

no one is saying there is nothing wrong but so far nothing sounds like als You are presumably not a doctor There are many many things that can go wrong with a human body. As Laurie says you need a doctor who will work with you and you need to not try to direct their care. Did you go in focusing on ALS? That might explain the doctor’s reaction.

Hey, I'm an aussie too

Your doctor did the correct strength test, however lots of non-medical people think it was too simple and meant nothing. It was a really important test and told the doctor many things.

Which neuro have you been referred to?

I was referred to frankston private,
I just wake up with stiff calf’s and stiff all over.
Very frightening…but I know there could be many reasons.
Yeah I told the dr what it could be among other things.

Vibration at the back of my legs and just feel so weak

There are some good neurologists there.
Honestly though, what you are experiencing really doesn't sound the least bit like ALS.
PALS don't feel weak, they feel normal, so that's a good thing.
Did you read this carefully through? It addresses your concerns quite clearly.

Yes I have read it, I just don’t know how I’m feeling so sluggish it’s really worrying me. The neuro takes a while to go to. I do the heel tests myself and grip there’s no failing right now but it’s just weak. I can’t grasp what failing is if you’re weak ..

Well, it's not ALS, OK? You can keep reporting how tired you are, but that's not going to magically have a member say "oh, that last added issue shows you have ALS!"

You know who's tired and sluggish? People caring for someone with ALS. You know who are the biggest and bravest troopers? People living with ALS. The folks here know ALS and, for the umpteenth time, you don't have it. Please stop with the "yeah buts". It's not going to change anyone's opinion that you don't evidence of this disease. How can you not be ecstatic about that? It's mind boggling.

I'm sure you're worried, but you truly need to go see a doctor about whatever is going on. This is not the place to get your hand held or get info on general health issues.

Closing this thread because we are going in circles. Stop back by if/when a neurologist suggests there is any reason for concern as regards MND, but your next port of call should be a good GP that you can work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back