Diagnosis
10/2012
Country
US
State
LA
City
Baton Rouge
My wife has had Bulbar onset ALS for three years. Last vestige of motor function is her right thumb, head and eyes. She alerts me with wireless doorbell when needed at night and day when she needs help. With inevitable loss of thumb, what advice do you have for me to set up alert device. Must be able to awaken me at night......Bucky

Check out my thread titled "night time". It might have some good tips. I asked the same question. :)

Afraidbutnotalone, Thank you. I looked at the "nighttime" thread. We use a wireless doorbell, but not sure how she could operate it with her head as she loses her thumb function
.......Bucky

My worries for me as well. Maybe between us we can get a good solution. :)

A "pillow" switch? Most often slightly pushed w/ the head, they come w/ and w/o cushions depending on the needs where they are placed. So you can attach a pillow switch (that can be pinned to a pillow, natch) to a switch-operated chime.

I know some people have alternatively used a motion sensor. In that scenario, your wife doesn't have to activate a switch, just make enough motion to activate the sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back