Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
WI
City
Trempealeau
My husband was diagnosed on 10/8/10 with ALS. He has been drinking heavily and using klonopin to help with the fasiculation. I am his wife and I am so upset. I don't know how I should be with him right now. His drinking and taking a narcotic have me terrified.

I came home from work today, after a pretty good day. I found him loaded and not the person that I love. My heart is breaking and I this is not how I want our days through this disease to progress.

Help, please tell me if anyone else has had a spouse deal with their diagnosis by medicating in this way..

I'm scared, frustrated and so incredibly heartbroken.

I'm 52, my husband just turned 60 in August.

I would appreciate any input on how to deal with this..

Thanks,,

You are dealing with a new diagnosis. It is a very fragile time for you both. I don't know how to help except to say maybe it will calm down after a bit and he gains acceptance. If he has always been a big drinker, i don't know. Maybe others here will be able to help more. Just know you have found a good source of reference and caring here. There are some wonderful people here to help answer your questions.
Thinking of you.
NancyS

I am hoping that this is just the way he is dealing right now. I pray it doesn't continue. I love him dearly and I want to have good memories of our life. I know that maybe sounds selfish. It's not really about me.. it's my concern for his well being. Thanks for your reply..

I am sorry for his diagnosis, and terribly sorry for the way he's dealing with this, although I think I understand it. Please look at the posts in the threads found below (scroll down this page). I wrote in the one at the top of that list. When you have posted ten times, you will be able to privately message with folks here. Of course, I hope very much that as his diagnosis was so recent, your husband will decide to face it without the aid of alcohol as a coping mechanism soon, and this will be a short but sad period in the long term. Do please keep writing.
Prayers for both of you,
Ann

sorry your husband is having such difficulty with this ALS garbage...each of us seem to find different ways to face the initial diagnosed. i cannot relate to the alcohol issues...as I had the ol' pissed off/angry attitude when I got my final diagnosed. I'm praying for you and your husband. keep loving him and I'm sure he will come around.

Get him evaluated for FTD. Alcohol abuse and FTD are somehow connected, and in fact FTD can be mistaken for "common" alcoholism. Glen was in alcohol recovery for over a year before his FTD was diagnosed. It was a very weird experience. Went to meetings faithfully, went to classes faithfully, made no difference in his behavior, even though he DID stop drinking. Does the doc that gave him the narcotic scrip know about the drinking? If not, he needs to asap.

Wikipedia gives a good overview of Clonazepam (trade-name Klonopin).

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine. It should not be taken w alcohol. I hope you will inform the doc who wrote the prescription.

I am not experienced about drinkers, but for sure he must not take that medication in combination with drinking.
I feel so badly he is reacting to his diagnosed in this way. I pray he will get over the initial pain of knowing what he has
and will realize he has more life to live. Your love and caring will get him through. Don't lose heart.... yet. Come
here often and talk to us. God bless you.

I don't know what to tell ya! He was just diagnosed, so hopefully, this is a phase. I agree that both would be a real overload! It's been less than 10 days since his official diagnosed, so cut him a little slack, for now. If it continues to be out of control, I would consult with his doc.

My husband says beer helps calm the "buzzing" he feels inside his body. The buzzing (he says it's like electrical currents) drives him insane (but he takes no benzos)!

Good luck!

I appreciate the input. We had a good weekend and have been talking alot. He stopped taking the klonopin and has only had a glass or two of wine. My greatest fear is the combination of meds and alcohol. He has the buzzing also, and it drives him crazy. He also feels like he's shaking inside.He's pretty frustrated with how rapid his weakness feels in his arms and legs too. This has been an exhausting month from first appt. to actual diagnosis. He says he feels like his body has begun to betray him and its happening so fast. He has said he will try to read some stories of others experiences to help find his way through this. I love him and will be here to help in any way I can.

you are a good wife and person. dont ever forget that.

I quit drinking shortly after DX. I just lost interest in it.

We spent the day at Mayo getting a second opinion. We discussed the alcohol and actually things have calmed down a little. He still looks forward to a glass of wine or two at night. Can't say I blame him! I think he was just melting down and trying to escape from what he was feeling. Our dr. at Mayo today made the comment that there is a correlation between very "nice" folk and the diagnosis of ALS. I think there is truth to this. My husband is one of the kindest, gentle souls I know.. Thanks to all for sharing...

I'm so very glad your husband is settling down. It sounds as though he's going to do fine, and I can appreciate how much you have to be relieved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back