Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, I also know that being a new mom will want you to protect your child at all costs. I remember that when my kids were small, I couldn't bear to think of them somehow being separated from me. So, its the situations where we don't feel we are in control that are hardest when we're in "mama bear" mode. Things like illness, flying on planes, etc.

Try your best to think of other things until you're able to get in to see your doctor, and be determined to listen to and believe what he/she has to say.

PW, I realized we were posting at the same time. About the strength testing, if you don't feel weak, that is what matters the most. If you do feel weak, there are a host of other reasons to investigate other than a motor neuron disease.

Last edited:
And now I am reading about how you possibly cannot trust the strength test in the neuro's office. How am I supposed to know if I pass or not? I'm a small person..120, 5"2' so it may not be that hard but STILL. If I'm suppsed to trust the doc, what are all the concerns with the strength test? I'm just so filled with what I think are differing opinions. I do know every case or onset is different for everyone so it makes more real that I could be starting with slight calf atrophy and twitches because I did the honors of really investigating.

Rose, my hubby is a STEELERS fan. They squeaked it out yesterday. We're in a football pool and I picked Baltimore (they can be tough!). I thought maybe it was more of tweener game..anyone could win it. My husband also spent the day in NJ yesterday for a job he was doing. Drove home from there right thru Baltimore to hear the game and know that touchdown counted!

So you just really think maybe it's not ALS what I'm experiencing? Sorry, had to ask..about to head out on a walk with my daughter. It's a beautiful day down here..!

Do doctors have to see ALL of the symptoms listed on the El Escorial before they can truly make a diagnosed?

Yay Steelers ! The teams truly were evenly matched, I read that they were just about "mirror" teams for each other. How funny that your hubby got to drive through the Baltimore area right then. I have a son that lives near to Baltimore, and he's a die hard Steelers fan too. My last dr appointment down at Hopkins he went with me, and it was just after a Ravens game, and we kept overhearing the rehash while we were there in "enemy" territory LOL.

As to your question, yes, the doctors really do need to make sure a person meets all of the criteria of the El Escoral before a a definite diagnosis is made. It generally takes many months to do this. Try your best to remember that there are so many other reasons you could have the problem in your leg - even from the birth process itself. I hope you do get outside for that walk, its starting to cloud up and get windy here :(

As a post script about the Ravens, you know they are the old Cleveland Browns team, and so that rivalry between Pittsburgh and Cleveland was already in place. and.... (my daughter told me this) they chose the name "Ravens" because it is the birth place of Edgar Allen Poe

hey Boo,
Glad to hear you and the baby are going for a walk, it's freezing rain here. Turn the computer off and enjoy some "down" time with her!

They grow up too fast, I'm sure you will be fine at your doctor's appt tomorrow, and like some of the others have said, your hormones may be going crazy, but you are not. Just take a deep breath, do something fun with your baby, and get some rest, please, please, please!

take good care and get some rest,
brenda

The walk was nice. We enjoyed a high of 67 or so today! Tomorrow will be high of 40-something. That's what the weather is like in Virginia. One of thise it sometimes snows, can get a blizzard, is more humid than anything, etc.

You are so right Brenda. Since the birth of my baby, I have never chosen the frickin computer over her. It's getting ridiculous. I've had my laptop on pretty much night and day for several days. I'm not getting anything else accomplished. I've really needed some kind wods from strangers though as I'm too embarrassed to share this with friends. I did tell my parents and my husband - though my husband doesn't understand why my brain goes in the direction it does - he is VERY busy and too tired these days to think his wife is self-diagnosing ALS. (He works for UPS.) My mother-in-law is going to the doctor with me tomorrow and she will stroll around with my baby while I get a hopefully thumbs-up check-up. Thanks for reaching out - you and everyone else that has..

Rose: I did know the Ravens were the Browns..andm I know the rivalry well!

Wow 67 degrees! Wyoming summer weather ;) This morning it was -20ish and they delayed school for two hours because none of the buses would start. Then they added that, even with the delay, there would be no in town bus service for the kids because the only buses that could start were needed to brave the tundra to pick up county kids.

4runner fired up just fine though :)

Take care,

Robert

I guess you're at the point that not a single thing that anyone can say on here is going to do one bit of good. Thank god your neuro appointment is tomorrow.

Let me try one more time:

NOT ONE THING you have mentioned is indicative of ALS. That's the second time I've said that and I've stopped counting how many times other people have said the same thing.

As far as your "atrophy" in your calf: if you had atrophy due to ALS you would have weakness and the weakness would have preceded the atrophy. End . . . of . . . story!

Regarding testing of strength: your neuro will compare one side to the other and see if there is a difference. If you have a good neuro, then he/she will pull and push on you very hard to see if they can detect any differences. When I've gotten my exams, my neuro was literally hanging from my arm and pulling on me as if she were in a tug of war for her life (and she was not small). They will do what they need to do to evaluate you.

All of the above is a moot point in your case, because . . . for my third time: NOT ONE THING you have mentioned is indicative of ALS.

RE . . . LAX!

I just love you, wright - you're kind of the Simon Cowell of the forum. Much needed for someone like me these days. Telling it like it is. I actually had a feeling after reading other posts of yours about trying to get thru to people who just don't want to believe you - or anyone else OR even their neuro's - that I might hear one more thing from you about my inability to trust others. Yes, thank God I am going to my appt tomorrow and thank God for people like you. I mean that!

Ok....

alot of what you said sounds like anxiety BUT I do love the simon cowel thing, it made me lauph at least. Y

But, wright is right.......

My twitching got my attention but I was having some problems with my legs and calves during my pregnancy and before the twitching. I just never connected it or thought it was varicose veins

Good luck

Boo,

If its any comfort, I have had 2 clean EMG's and my thigh muslces are not the same size. I twitch like a true neurotic, too! (or a guy thats trying to quit a dope addiction cold turkey) I do not have ALS and I pay no attention to the twitching (of which I am self-proclaimed king - I'm not very mindful of my kingdom these days).

The more you entertain thoughts of a disease, the more your brain works to produce evidence of same. I don't know why or how, but it does. I would suggest getting your mind off of ALS or any MND and on to your favorite past time.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back