Diagnosis
07/1998
Country
US
State
California
City
Benicia
We recently returned from a fun New York City vacation. I thought it might be helpful to share our ventilator air travel experience with others, so I added an article to my website.:-D

http://quadbliss.com/travel.htm

Mike

Thanks Mike. News like that might give some of us other wheelchair bound PALS the confidence to venture forth.
AL.

Mike- you are a great role model for myself and others who want to live the fullest life possible. Thanks for sharing. Cindy

Whoa! That was an adventure! Most people (my husband) would never be on top of all of that! LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Mike You have to see me in the airport with carry on a service dog wheel chair. my husband doesnt know to wheel me hold the dog lease or wheel the carry on,and look all you do. I am dreading my next trip. We have a home in florida and I just started usinga wheel chair and its been a nightmare. Any suggestions

Pat1

Question, Mike. Do you sleep in your chair at the hotel or did Jen and sister lift you for transfers. We use a Hoyer lift for all my transfers and I wonder if you could get one to rent or borrow in NYC.
AL.

Hi Pat1,

Here are my suggestions: Travel with a third person. Even before the vent, when my wheelchair was the only extra equipment, we would only attempt air travel with a third person. Each person is responsible for specific bags and tasks, and we rehearse disassembly of the chair.

Also, be careful about using words like "nightmare". If you perceive your reality from that perspective, your life will definitely be unpleasant. Try to find the lesson God (the universe) is presenting with each difficult challenge. Use your circumstances as opportunities for growth. :-D

Mike

Hi Al,

As my body grew weaker, Jen grew stronger. She can still transfer me manually from one surface to another. No lift required. I think you are right though. If a local loan closet has a lift available, they would probably let you borrow it. There are also potable lift systems available for purchase.

I posted a slideshow of our trip here if anyone is interested.

Mike

Thanks mike. We try to travel with our friends but thats not always possible.But your right I shouldnt use that word nightmare but my husband is having a hard time and so am I ,watching him watching me.

Pat1

Hey Mike the pics of NYC were great. I really enjoyed the show.
AL.

Mike, The slide show was outstanding. I have never been to NYC, but your photos made it look beautiful. I admire you--sincerely I honestly admire you. I have thought that many times reading what you write and it's time I let you know that.
Laurel

Great photography, Mike! Or should I be congratulating Jen? I see some wonderful paintings coming out of this trip, though! You look pretty cool, sitting around midst all that great architecture! :-D Cindy

Hi Mike
I have been to NYC many times and even worked there since I am from Brooklyn great photos wonderful camera you have and the peson behind the camera was great. You look very happy and well cared for God bless your wife.

Pat

Thanks for the compliments. I am glad you enjoyed the slide show! You are right, Cindy. That was Jen behind the camera, and she is an amazing person in many ways.

Thanks, Laurel! :-D

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back