Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
austin
Hello!

My brother who has ALS will be traveling on Southwest in early December. His wife and I will be traveling with him. He uses a bipap so we'll need to take that with us on board the airplane.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good bipap battery? Or any other tips for traveling by air with ALS that we should think of ahead of time?

Thanks very much!

Welcome to the forum, though it is a place you would rather not have to visit. I'm sure you've been looking it over and have seen how valuable a resource it will be for you and your family. Back to your question... look down at the bottom of the page and you will find several threads that talk about travel that have been previously posted. "Air Travel With a Ventilator" has a webpage listed that has a bunch of really useful information - probably more than you need right now, but some should be useful. Sounds like you are really planning ahead which is a GREAT IDEA!

What helped me was having a few copies of a BRIEF letter from my neurologist on official letterhead from their office saying what my condition was. While I am sympathetic to all people who feel they need a wheelchair and assistance at the airport, sometimes airlines are short staffed and may have to choose the level of help you get. Having a letter lets them know you are dealing with a serious condition.

Put that letter in front of every person you deal with, from the check-in desk to security. Be polite.

Yes, I got the TSA pat down, because I could not stand up and go through the "see you naked" machine, but it was quick and cursory.

When my flight was canceled and I was scheduled for a later flight, I asked if I could go to the lounge for frequent flyers and first class passengers. They let me do that and I was much more comfortable. I think the key is asking nicely. Airline employees sometimes have discretion about things that can make you more comfortable... or miserable.

I hope you have a good trip and all goes well.

In addition to the above, I would recommend that your brother wear pressure socks. They make a huge difference.

Do not bring Ensure or any other supplement drinks in your carry on or in your check in bag. Just get some at the nearest grocery or pharmacy store when you arrive at your destination. 6 pack of those apparently looks like a liquid bomb in the x-ray machine....yes...I found this out the hard way. ;) Have fun on the trip! :)

Thanks everyone so much! This is all very helpful - we wouldn't have thought of these things ahead of time. We want a nice smooth trip!

Thank you too for the warm welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back