Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
US
State
WI
City
Madison
I need some travel advice/tip from the more seasoned travelers. I plan to go to India in Nov 2009 to beat the winter and meet family and friends while I am there. I plan to get back in Feb/Mar 2010. Now here is my problem, I am completely wheelchair bound and cannot stand on my own. The trip takes around 24 hours each way and 3 plane changes (2 to get to EWR from MSN and 1 to get to BOM). My biggest concern is toileting while in air, how will I manage this? I have read about adult diapers and catheters, which one is better? I personally would avoid diapers, so catheter is what I am thinking of. But I haven’t used one before, any ideas on good ones? Are there any other suggestions for making a long airplane ride easy?

Look at travel jon. It is a folding bottle (like a plastic bag, folds very very small) It has chystals in, so when you wet it, it turns to gel and wont spill. Pretty discreet for males, if you were wearing jogging bottoms. Look on drugstore, com they were the cheapest I found. Bought them in the States as they are expensive in UK.

See if there is anything helpful on this link disABILITIES! - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com Oh poo, it didn't work..I copied it from my Need help planning a trip to Disney World topic. Maybe you can find that thread to use the link? You are so BRAVE! Are you going alone? I am a Registered Nurse and have used condom caths on my patients numerous times-easy to do and if you get a small urinary drainage bag should be discreet. I would think that diapers would be extremely problematic-you would have to be able to remove it, do personal care and dispose plus put a new one on all in a bouncy jet. Have you contacted the Airlines and informed them that you will have special needs and how will they be able to assist you? I am happy for you that you will have this trip!

I finally made this trip. It was very taxing on my body but worth it. You can read about it here.

nishant-

Gosh, I'm exhausted just reading about it. But, thankfully you were able to sleep on the last leg & landed safely.

So happy for you to be able to be there- have a wonderful time visiting with your family & relatives. Enjoy every day; take in all you can see & do!

Hope your trip home goes smoother!

So glad you made it. Wow what a trip.. I just shared your story with my family. They all thought I sounded amazing. I was exhausted reading about it. But thank-you for proving what we can do with will and love. Hope you made some great memories. NOW get some rest..lol...

I am so glad for you! I hope that the trip home will be less stressful. Enjoy every moment :]

nishant -- do you know how prevalent ALS/MND IS in India? Our GP (now retired) is Indian and says he sees a lot of it there... it would be interesting to know some statistics.

Have a good time visiting your relatives, I am sure they are all very glad to see you.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and friends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back