10/2014
Country
ITA
State
italy
City
rome
Hi !

I have been recently diagnosed chronic respiratory failure, outcome of diaphragmatic emi-paresis of unknown origin, presumably a neuromuscular one. So far I wish that the illness concerns this muscle only, but who can say ?

Being a newbie in noninvasive ventilation, I find demanding to get used to BiPAP, mainly because of the air flow leaking out from the mask and falling in my eyes.

It dries and redden them in a short time, up to force me to stop the treatment; an ophthalmologist has assured that no disease are involved except the above inconvenience.

I wear by now a good mask, equipped with a silicone frame, but a further protection is clearly required to fix the issue.

I met this forum by chance but I'm very glad to share experiences and I have decided to post this message because many of you are surely skilled in tips and trick of noninvasive ventilation practice.

Any hints is highly appreciated !

I'm from Italy and hope you forgive my childish English ! :oops:

It sounds like you have a full face mask like I have. Does your mask have the silicone pads that rest on your forehead? They are adjustable by turning the hard plastic knob at the front. That will put the upper part of the mask tight against your face.

ATP,
you indeed are wearing what we in the States refer to as a full face mask (FFM), that is to say, both your mouth and nose are covered. A "total face" mask such as the Respironics FitLife mask, which you may've been thinking of, takes it one step further since it is more like a hockey mask, and works better for some because the mask extends beyond the nose bridge.

Other options are to try a different FFM or even a nasal mask (we used the Circadiance cloth masks), use a mask liner or make your own, use paper tape on the nose bridge, avoid overtightening the headgear, etc. And if your mask comes in multiple sizes, you could try a different size as well, if you really like that mask. But there are several good options.

Welcome to the Forums.

I'm pleased to meet you, lgelb !

I didn't know about mask liner: it sounds good.

Searching on google I have found RemZzzs CPAP Mask Liners and I presume is, the more or less, the product you mentioned.

Do you think that an home made liner is practically feasible ? A cloth both very fluffy and resistant seems to be needed ...

Bye !

I use rem zzz' severe night it provides comfort and a better seal. And stops face farts.
Patrick

Yes, several here have made their own liners. You can try a thin cotton first.

After experimenting with several cloth offcuts, I have arrived at a simple paper towel, folded and perforated
It seems promising and it withstood a two hours log test, remaining sufficiently unchanged.

I'm going in bed now and I will see how it behaves across a whole night.

Thanks a lot for your collaboration. I wil keep you informed.

ciao !

Last edited by a moderator:
Be careful with paper and cloth that sheds. You do not want to breathe the fibers into your lungs. Welcome to the forum. Steph

Welcome ATP, I have tried many masks and they wear out quickly, keep them clean with soap and water, I get a new one about once a month.

Janie

I have made several gaskets using the material used to clean glasses. I made three and launder them with no difficulty at all, as a matter of fact they stretch out slightly after 2 uses, and shrink back after they have been washed and dried with his other laundry. We did have to try several different full face masks to find the one that fit his face the best. I hope you find what helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back