Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
oklahoma
City
sapulpa
Hello, i am 23 and was diagnosed with als on Aug. 1 2013. I have a two year old son and a husband. And of course i feel like my whole world has been torn apart. I had just finished medical school two weeks prior to my diagnosis. Ive known deep down that i had als since this past January from online research but did not want to give up hope. My symptoms started Sept. Of last year in my left leg and has reached my left arm and hand at this point. It seems that my arm and hand is progressing much quicker than my leg. I had my first breathing test done a month ago and all was very well there. From what research ive done im very disappointed to learn how early i developed this. My doctor as well told me i was his youngest patient and the 2nd youngest for the MDA clinic in okc.
By the way, I'm very glad to have ran across this forum and have people to talk to that
truely understand what im going through. Thank you.:)

Hi! I'm so sorry you have to join us here, but am glad to "meet" you. I was just diagnosed in June and have already found such comfort here and hope you will too. Welcome!

welcome Shelby, I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis so young, it is really tough!

but you have found the best place to get support from both PALS like yourself and CALS like me. I care for my husband who is only in his 50's, and have found the people here truly wonderful and a lot of timely information and tips.

Hi Shelby,
I “welcome” you to this forum; I’m saying also take care and fight till the end with this monster. You are too young to give up! I’ll pray for you how I pray for myself and my kids. Please search this forum: ALS Research & Treatments - ALS Forums | ALS TDI - ALS Therapy Development Institute. Here, you’ll find lots of love and support and the best advices about how to deal with the ALS Life day by day. People that you can meet here are very special people, kind and so much willing to help (even some of them are in a worst condition than you or me.) There, on another forum people are trying to resist how much they can and I understood that doctors from important hospitals are giving some hope within the coming year 2014.
Who knows? God is Love, Grace, Merciful and Omnipotent! I still hope that He’ll give us some help!
With love, Marcia

I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post. Ive read through some threads and there are very amazing people on here.

shelby23 just finished typing lengthly post, wore me out, tried to submit and said my token expired CRAP WILLTRY ANOTHER DAY

@pearshoot

Can you try typing into a word processor or notes app then copy and paste into here? That way even if it has bummed out (it has done this to me and I can type fast!) you have a copy and can just log in again and paste still?

still have this to learn think I am still on chapt 3 of computers for dummies

Welcome Shelby.

I was also diagnosed in August, just 5 days after you. My prayers are with you.

I don't have to use it much yet but I put in and am using Dragon Naturally Speaking. I don't have much in the line of speech problems (yet) and find it adapts to my diminished voice projection pretty well. some days my left hand doesn't function at all and this makes my work and writing a lot easier. Just sayin'.

Hello, i am 23 and was diagnosed with als on Aug. 1 2013. I have a two year old son and a husband. And of course i feel like my whole world has been torn apart. I had just finished medical school two weeks prior to my diagnosis.

Hi, Shelby -- I was diagnosed a few weeks later, after you, but the same distress. We are both presented with a different challenge in life than I ever expected. I hope we both can live up to our own expectations. At least, I hope to understand mine :).

My thoughts are with you, you family, and all around you.

Max

Hi Shelby!

I was 39 when diagnosed and had plenty of too young comments as well, but you definitely are too young! There are a few other young folks around here on the forum too, so you may bump into them sometime.

Just holler when you have questions!

Hello Shelby;
I don't know what to say, except this disease bites. I am so sorry that you have to go through this at any age but I know that it is harder at your stage of life. This forum is like a large family, and we share our good and bad times, sometimes get a sharp response, but mostly get the most amazing support. The sense of humor and bravery of both PALS & CALS is a testament, that this disease can ravage a life, but not the spirit, if we choose. You will be in my prayers.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back